Forum OpenACS Q&A: Installing project manager from repository

I just tried a new install of OpenACS 5.1 and then installed Jade's project manager using the online install function (install from openacs site).

The version that I ended up with was 1.0a which is several versions earlier than the one merged from head to oacs-5-1 on May 20th.

I don't know if the oacs-5-1 tag is supposed to flag the newer version for the package manager or not - but I thought I'd mention it in case there is something broken.

regards
Richard

Collapse
Posted by Chris Davies on
I think that you need to pull from cvs and 'upgrade from local'.

For some reason, the repository doesn't seem to get updated. I am running the version from CVS with 5.1 without any problems.

Collapse
Posted by Nick Weich on
In other words, if I try to test modules on the Demo Server by installing them from the repository, I should expect to find bugs that would not occur if I installed from CVS and upgraded manually?

Thanks,
Nick

Collapse
Posted by Chris Davies on
no, I think it is more of a case that what is in the repository is what was packaged with 5.1.

Since that package is under fairly heavy development with a bunch of fixes since 5.1 was released, if you wanted to get the latest and greatest, you would need to use the CVS version for Project Manager.

There are quite a few enhancements that also require changes to logger and some other modules which are not in the repository.  All in all, what is currently in the repository really isn't representative of the current state of Project Manager.  Jade has made substantial progress and many improvements over what is in the repository.

Collapse
Posted by Randy O'Meara on
Unless I'm mistaken, there is no automated method to update the repository when changes are committed to CVS. It is a matter of manually running a script.

Lars mentioned some time back that he wanted to automate this. Can it be automated? Maybe on a daily or weekly basis?

In the mean time, you could to do a cvs checkout of the project-manager package to get the right code. You may have to use the cvs repository path to get it though. I'm not sure if it has been defined as a cvs module.

/R

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
I'd like to fix this -- I tried merging over to the openacs-5-1 branch, but it looks like that is not working.

As Chris said, the most reliable method at this point is installing from CVS HEAD for project-manager.

There is a module set up for project-manager in CVS, so you can just check out project-manager.

I'm hoping to improve the release process for project-manager, but that's the current state of things.

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
There is an automated system to update the repository from CVS.  It died with the old openacs.org server and I haven't put it back in yet.