Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: New admin features for .LRN

Collapse
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
Rocael,

It's important for Sloan that the default setup remain that these options are all available to all class and community admins.  This functionality was one of the biggest selling points/wins for the system at Sloan because it gave faculty the autonomy they needed to run their courses and gave communities that same flexibility, especially since many have non-MIT members.  And, for the Manage Membership link, since any member can drop any membership, but not rejoin a closed group, it's important that the group admin be able to add people back in.  The more groups you have, the more adminstrative burden is placed on the site wide admin to monitor, without any tools, the actions of users.

I don't understand exactly what you mean by your last question - can you provide an example or two of this in action?

DeeDee

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Roc, You could modify the parameter default on your local install but I am not sure the new default would be preserved over upgrades (it should be and if it's not it would be a bug in my opinion). That would make any new community take the default value.

I do think the default should be pretty permissive since it's far easier to turn something off that you see than to discover you can turn something on. There are a number of things in the toolkit disabled by default and I find a lot of people don't even realize they exist.

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
DeeDee,

I understand what your needs are, and my suggestion is not to eliminate those functionalities, rather than that, I would like to see a parameter that will allow for an entire .LRN installation (all the classes) to allow or not those actions. In our case is quite important since we don't want those, specially the one for allowing professors to add users to a class, since we do that automatically (add users to groups).

<blockquote>>Also, there's a need for a dotlrn-admin users, that means, the dotlrn-admin might not be a site-wide-admin, any suggestions on this?
</blockquote>

My user scenario is this, we might want to give to some people dotlrn admin priviledges, but to site wide admin, in other words, a dotlrn admin should be able to create class and that kind of stuff, but not be able to install a new package ....
(any technical suggestions on this??)

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Jeff,
I had the same idea, just that its not the more pretty one, since, if you want the stuff to work, you need to change the parameter value on the APM (better before install .LRN) & change the site-map param as well if apply.

Not sure about default preserved over upgrades, need to try.

So I was wondering another kind of solution ... any ideas??