Forum OpenACS Development: Re: How to handle dotlrn-specific changes in core?

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Grumet on
Hmm, I'm not sure I understand your comment about "live after forking".  If what I write below misses something important, feel free to clarify or steer the discussion.

I think it's inaccurate to say that ".LRN wants to make changes to OpenACS core that are only applicable for .LRN".  A better statement would be that ".LRN needs to know about events that are handled, and should be handled, by the core pages and/or APIs".

Afaik callbacks are pretty widely used and generally considered good design.

I don't think there's much of a risk to OpenACS pages or API calls provided that exceptions are adequately caught and reported.  Importantly, none of the solutions we're discussing could cause breakage to vanilla systems that didn't have .LRN installed, or for that matter any other extensions that might need to know about membership changes.

If we had to choose between the two approaches, with the caveat that there are probably other viable ones as well, I think the choice would be between a) leaving core alone, creating .LRN-specific versions of certain core procs and making sure these track the core versions, b) adding some complexity to the core with the expectation that it will reduce the need to track.  Approach b) doesn't guarantee that extensions won't break when the core apis change, but it does guarantee that orthogonal changes become available without any extra effort.

As I mentioned before, approach b) is taken in .LRN so we have working code we can mimic.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
My comment about forking was strictly ment to reflect the situation where you take core API and replace it with something else that is not maintained by the OpenACS core.

I'm a little bit reluctant to agree that we should change OpenACS core code to reflect that there is .LRN. In my opinion we should have a core code that does not need to know about application specific things like .LRN. After all, what happens if .WRK or .KNW or any other vertical application wants to do the same. It's more a clean code and design approach, which may or may not be able to survive taken into account the various needs put on the core.

If we use callbacks with service contracts that might be a solution, as this would make the core API independent from the *specific* application.