Forum OpenACS Q&A: Español

Collapse
Posted by Alan Pater on
I've seen a few messages from people who have done some work translating openacs 3.2.x into spanish. How is that job doing?
Collapse
2: Response to Español (response to 1)
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
<p>
I only know about this project: <a
href="www.iued.uned.es">www.iued.uned.es</a>. They translated Classic
ACS 3.2 into Spanish.

<p>
That must have been an enormous task, as this ACS version was not
exactly good for being translated.

Collapse
3: Respuesta a Español (response to 1)
Posted by Anton Bajri on

I'm doing a translation of part of OpenaACS 3.2.4, but at the same time "reworking" it to fit our needs, so probably it's not usefull to anyone... :(

Saludos,

Jorge

PS: by the way, in the reply form i'm using now to post this reply, the subject is broken: instead "Español", there's "Español" (the classic tcl8/encoding/adp/etc. issue)

Collapse
4: Response to Español (response to 1)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Hi, as I stated before we have done some translation, that can be useful maybe to others, check this out . But there is not real effort to do a formal translation, maybe we should start it!
Collapse
5: Response to Español (response to 1)
Posted by Henry Minsky on
We have a message-catalog module called "acs-lang" for ArsDigita's ACS 4 that will probably be
easy to fold into the OpenACS 4 release. That provides a "get_string" sort of function to look up symbolic messages in a message catalog. You can have message catalogs associated with each package. There;s
also some Tcl utils in there for international date and time and number formatting
and parsing.

I also have some
modifications to the request processor which
makes dealing with multiple character sets in tcl and adp files
a little bit easier. Those will probably get folded into the
OpenACS 4 release at some point soon after it is available.

Then maybe the system will at least work "out of the box" for ISO-LATIN-1, or for any single character set encoding.

Collapse
6: Response to Español (response to 1)
Posted by Svet Ivantchev on
In my company we have translated nearly all the messages in bboard, chat, news, general-links, parts of the administration for bboard, chat, static content, ... as part of our work on one web which will be available on http://berrikuntza.efaber.net. Let me know how much people are intersted in this work (via this forum or mailing me directly at svet@efaber.net). If there is enough interest I can prepare some type of distribution of this work.
Collapse
7: Response to Español (response to 1)
Posted by Miguel Gonzalez on
We are a small group of the University of Leon who are starting to work with OpenACS.Actually we are a small group and i am the only one who is starting to work with OpenACS and PostgreSQL, the rest are working with Oracle and ACS.

We are interested in the translation of the docs. I think we should start a group of translation and have a web site where we could put all those translations, etc.

My email is mailto:iafmgc@unileon.es, if anyone wants to contact with me.

Best Regards

Miguel
Collapse
8: Response to Español (response to 1)
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Miguel,

A translation to Spanish (and any other language) would be most excellent. I'll get in touch with you about organizing such effort.

Collapse
9: Response to Espa�±ol (response to 1)
Posted by Miguel Gonzalez on
Thank you Robert Mello for your interest. I would like to just make clear one thing. I was just making a call for the Spanish community who is working with OpenACS, saying that It would be better to centralize in a web site all the docs, manuals, howtos, forums, etc. I would like to collaborate in such "community" as I suppose most of the Spanish people who are around working with OpenACS, but with my a small contribution in my free time (as I guess some of the people working in OpenProjects do) since I am just a newbie in OpenACS.

I just wanted to make sure that my post to the forums is understood, as my English could be not good enough to express myself in such a short message. We cannot take the responsibility of translating everything because we are not enough people.
Hopefully, everybody understood that I meant what I am saying, if not, hope this shed any light on my "obscure" last post ;)

Best Regards

Miguel
Collapse
10: Response to EspaÃf±ol (response to 1)
Posted by Bruno Mattarollo on

I just wanted to add a few comments on this issue.

We, at Greenpeace, are working on ACS 4.2 and have been using a somewhat modified version of acs-lang. It would be very important to start folding into OpenACS 4.2 the same mechanism, similar to what Henry Minsky is mentionning (the get_string). Henry is the original designer of the acs-lang so it would be very important to ask him about this, he seems to have extensive experience on this issue.

So, instead of having to go through the source of all the tcl and adp files, you could simply edit the localized messages in a central location. Qt 3.0 has a similar mechanism. acs-lang needs some work, that's true, but that would be a major advantage for the internationalization of OpenACS. I am going on holidays soon but will work on this (on ACS 4.2 but I am willing to spend the extra effort of working on a version that would be used in OpenACS, but this needs coordination with all the other module owners).