Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #61: (Approved) Guidelines for CVS committers

Collapse
Posted by Eduardo Pérez on
I still think these two points cause many problems to other developers:
<blockquote> For core packages, bug fixes should be committed on the current release branch whenever applicable.
</blockquote>
The problem with this one is that some developers have to develop with old code in the stable branch because HEAD contains bugs. I see many people on the lists that have these problems.

<blockquote> The current release branch is merged back to HEAD after each dot release.
</blockquote>
This doesn't work as well as expected as there are usually conflicts and they don't get resolved very well.

Anyway this is just my humble opinion. You are the ones that approve this proposals.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Eduardo, what would you propose then? That people have to commit on both the release and HEAD themselves?

This doesn't work as well as expected as there are usually conflicts and they don't get resolved very well.
I am not sure this is really accurate; there have been some problems with merge conflicts, but the vast majority of the cases get handled properly and we have not lost any bug fixes on the release branches.

If your proposal is that people are responsible for merging when they commit bug fixes, I think the short answer is that it's not administratively tenable to do it that way unless someone steps forward to take responsiblity for auditing commits to make sure that bug fixes do get rolled forward to HEAD.

The way we do it now may not be ideal but I think it's the best solution with the resources we have now.