Forum OpenACS Development: Response to ACS 4.2 released

Collapse
Posted by Richard Li on
Hi Don, sorry about the lack of communication. The reason why ACS Workflow 4.3 didn't make it into 4.2 is because we had a very long beta period, and 4.3 was finished during the beta period. It didn't make sense for us to risk introducing regressions into the tree by swapping in the new workflow service during beta, so we decided to keep the old workflow in 4.2 as opposed to delaying 4.2 even more.

Jon, I'm confused about what you are trying to say. Have you been running 4.2 beta on your sites, and are you asking for the compelling need to upgrade to 4.2 final? If that's the question, then the answer is that there is none, and I'm happy that you're able to run a beta so reliably. If your question is what is the benefit of 4.2, I would say that the parties/groups stuff is significantly improved, the documentation is better, there have been significant bug fixes, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.

Why do we bother releasing ACS Tcl? I don't understand this question, either. We're releasing ACS because there are bug fixes that we want to give to our client teams and for the community. If OpenACS wants to take all of our code, that's great. If they don't, that's ok too. And if they want to take our stuff and improve it, that's even better than great. Sure, Tcl development has slowed a whole bunch and it isn't the focus of our resources, but that doesn't mean that we don't care!