Forum OpenACS Development: Response to OpenACS wish-list

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
By "works flawlessly" I assume you mean that no unported queries leak through our sieve?  I think the query dispatcher and query extractor tools will help with this, along with the fact that we have more people resources available, including folks who are willing to help with testing.  A very small number of folks did nearly all of the first port, and while we did test as much as we could given the amount  of time we had to give to the project (and, I might add, fixed a lot of aD bugs on the way) some queries did leak through.

Particularly in some of the larger, more complex modules like e-commerce and intranet.

4.x will only work on PG 7.1, BTW.  Given the amount of code stuck into the PL/SQL aka PL/pgSQL layer we need NULLs to work correctly in parameter lists, and the fact that PG 7.1 also has outer joins is important, too.

As far as Apache goes, Petru Paler is picking up mod_aolserver and is going to work on integrating it with Apache 2.0.  In fact, we've set the sources up in the CVS tree, you can pick them up via anonymous pserver at openacs.org:/cvsroot by doing a "co mod_nsd".

Integration with other applications is a far more difficult technical issue.  People interested in such integration are probably going to need to form a subgroup and study the problem.  How do you integrate two unrelated complex datamodels (the ACS datamodel's complex, I presume GNUenterprise one is as well) and make them play together?  That's pretty much the major issue, I think (just off the top of my head).