Forum OpenACS Development: CVS screwiness on the openacs-5-1-compat and openacs-5-1-1-final tags

There appears to be something broken on these tags on the 5-1 branch... when updating a checkout on either of these tags I get a whole bunch of errors of thew form "cvs update: move away packages/acs-lang/catalog/acs-lang.ar_EG.utf-8.xml; it is in the way" (19 errors on 5-1-compat, 15 on 5-1-1-final, and they're all message catalog files). I'm using anonymous pserver access.

This occurs both after updating a working copy from the oacs-5-1 branch to the tag points and also with fresh checkouts on those tags.

The files that are being complained about exist in my working copy, but are not included in the CVS/Entries files for the directories they are in. If I manually delete them and then update again my CVS client replaces the files and then complains again that they're in the way.

cvs update: warning: packages/acs-subsite/catalog/acs-subsite.AR_EG.utf-8.xml was lost
U packages/acs-subsite/catalog/acs-subsite.AR_EG.utf-8.xml
cvs update: move away packages/acs-subsite/catalog/acs-subsite.ar_EG.utf-8.xml; it is in the way
C packages/acs-subsite/catalog/acs-subsite.ar_EG.utf-8.xml

Is anyone else seeing this? Does anyone know what would be causing it? Can someone with access to the repository take a look to see if something obvious is wrong (like no permission for anon CVS users or something like that perhaps?)

Hang about - I only noticed now, but I reckon the problem is the case-insensitive HFS+ filesystem on OSX... grrr... in a standard HFS+ filesystem acs-subsite.AR_EG.utf-8.xml and acs-subsite.ar_EG.utf-8.xml are the same file... so the files with capitalised country codes are in the CVS attic and shouldn't be getting checked out, but CVS is being stupid and getting them confused... so the next question is why isn't this happening on -HEAD or on the tip of -5-1?
I don't know why you aren't seeing it on oacs-5-1, but it is certainly caused by the fact that that the ALL CAPS versions of these files were removed, and correctly mixed case versions were added.  If you aren't working directly with these files, it is safe to bulk-delete them and then retrieve them from CVS - that may clear out the problem.