Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Any contributions to a RH HowTo?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Your "install on a server" section needs to include "how to turn off all the crap you don't really need running on a dedicated web/db server".  (read about "chkconfig", that's a handy RH tool for turning  daemons on and off and setting them up to run at various run levels).

I'm not sure a "for dummies" section wants to include information on updating to the most recent kernel.  My feeling is that the best way to build a stable system is to use whatever release (i.e. 6.2 in this case) is deemed most stable and to leave it alone unless you really need to change it.  For instance, I have no compelling need to update my personal web/db server to any 2.4 kernel, even when they've been out and hammered on for a bit longer.  My system's stable and the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" principle applies.

Very useful would be to explain why buying the current RH version and installing it isn't necessarily the thing to do, i.e. we've been telling folks to stick with 6.2 rather than 7.0 (especially) and 7.1 (let others be the guinea pigs).