Forum OpenACS Q&A: installation help with postgresql

Collapse
Posted by brad babai on
HI, im trying to install dotlrn on my laptop, i did a clean install of linux redhat 9.  And im up to step 8 of the installation guide on installing postgresql 7.3.4 source code

After typing "service postgresql stop" i get FAILED coming up

i think it is due to the line 3 above it beginning with "cp /tmp/openacs/....." which says that directory doesnt exist.

From what i understand all we want to do is get the "postgresql.txt" file and put it into this now directory, then change change some permissions.  But how are you meant to get this file if you dont have openacs5.0.4 already installed?? clearly its looking for this file in its directory something?  Is this a typo here.  Im really struggling to move on from this step.

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on

Hi Brad Babai,

Yes, the doc sequence there is a bit confusing. The Openacs tarball needs to be downloaded[1] to the /tmp dir and uncompressed; then try that 'cp' command.

From the shell, do something like this to download the openacs tarball:

[root src]# cd /tmp
[root src]# wget https://openacs.org/projects/openacs/download/download/openacs-5.1.1.tar.gz
if your computer doesn't recognize wget,
 use your browser to save it to /tmp directory.
[root src]# tar xvzf openacs-5.1.1.tar.gz
then, according to directions:
[root src]# cp /tmp/openacs-5.1.1/packages/acs-core-docs/www/files/postgresql.txt /etc/init.d/postgresql

hope this helps

1. https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-5-1/individual-programs.html#openacs-download

Collapse
Posted by brad babai on
thanks for that, but before i try that, does it matter if im going to ultimately be using dotlrn instead of openacs?
  That is, should i uncompress the dotlrn package and assume that that has a postgresql.txt file?
Collapse
Posted by Jarkko Laine on

Hi Brad,

.LRN is a vertical solution working on OpenACS. You can't install it without OpenACS.

If you're talking about the packages on this page, OpenACS core is AFAIK included in them, so you should get with them everything you need for a fresh install, also the postgresql.txt file.

Collapse
Posted by brad babai on
sorry to be a burden but i just want to make sure i got this right before i start a clean install again.

If i want to install the program ".LRN 2.0.3 Final"  all i have to do is go to that specified page you gave before and that will have in it a postgresql version AND aolserver in it?  That is, will i get to skip steps 2 and 3 in the installation guide?

Or will i still need to somehow do those steps?
Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
Don't skip any steps. You just need to untar the tarball before you copy postgresql.txt.

BTW, the tarball contains openacs/.LRN but not aolserver.