Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to OpenACS 3.2.5 RPM for Red Hat 6.2 available

How do I tell what acs and aolserver version I have?

How do you tell what version of any RPM package you have? Mine are no different in that regard. So (once they are installed), the commands

rpm -q openacs
rpm -q aolserver

will answer your question. But if you just installed them, you already know what version they are -- they are the version that you downloaded and installed... so am I misunderstanding the question here?

The nsd.tcl and defaultacs.tcl docs are confusin. which file is required and in what location should it/they be?

Both are needed, one controls aolserver and the other controls OpenACS. Both should be in the locations where the RPMs put them. The README-rpm.txt file with each RPM (installed under /usr/doc/aolserver-* and /usr/doc/openacs-* as you would expect) mention the exact locations, I think.

How do I make myself site admin?

My RPMs make no difference to this at all. Just follow the instructions in the OpenACS Installation Guide and all should be well. Section 6.4 is where you will find the answer.

It sounds as though you either have a rather early copy of my RPMs, or else you didn't look at the README-rpm.txt file that they install?

Once you have read the OpenACS Installation Guide, if you have further questions, post them here at OpenACS.Org and someone will help. I may have created the RPMs, but that doesn't mean I am any kind of OpenACS expert 😊

If you did read a somewhat recent README-rpm.txt of mine and still found things confusing, let me know what other information I need to put in there, or how to say it more clearly, so that others do not have to be confused in future!

Thanks!