Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: can .LRN support MYSQL database?
MySQL's SQL is very limited and there was no server-side programming language and no views about two years ago - probably some other issues as well and MySQL enthusiasts will tell you that either those features are implemented already or real soon now.
The two main differences between PG and MySQL in my opinion:
* PostgreSQL is an open source project, MySQL is a product which is given away for free.
* PostgreSQL is about 20 years old, MySQL is substantially younger.
Everything else Dirk, Andrew, and Roberto said above seems to be spot on.
From the simplest, most naive point of view, MySQL vs. PostgreSQL more or less boils down to:
- Q: Does PostgreSQL have any advantages over MySQL (at least for uses like OpenACS)?
- A: Yes, it has many advantages over MySQL. I could go on and on... RTFW.
- Q: Does MySQL have any advantages over PostgreSQL (at least for uses like OpenACS)?
- A: Basically, no, it doesn't.