Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Would Openacs benefit if it had an object oriented scripting language?

As the number of available "public" tcl procs grow, it would be useful to classify them. Make it easier to find existing procs.

The api-doc is the ultimate dynamic version of that. However, it would be useful to have a list of commonly used procs, sorted by the type of information returned (0 or 1, a number, a string, a list), or the "class" of information processed.  Hmm.. Aren't classes represented in openacs by package abbreviation? ec_ for ecommerce ad_ for kernel etc?

Maybe the api-doc could include a sort by frequency used in openacs code, to help find popular solutions and standardize coding practices. The statics could be built and stored in a table, updated with each significant version number.

These are very valuable additions to the api-doc and I hope someone has the time and courage to put them into being. I specifically like the implication of seeing best practises at a glance due to the times a certain function has been used.

Though I guess, we'd see how many deprecated functions are still in use :)....