Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: AOLserver 4 not yet ready for prime time if you need SSL

Sloan has seen their nsd processes consuming a lot more memory with AOLserver 4, to the point where I believe Andrew suspects a memory leak.

I have also noticed that my own ACS sites I have on AOLserver 4 are consuming more memory than they used to, but it is on a smaller scale than Andrew reports so I can't really tell if I am seeing a memory leak or not.  These sites do not use .LRN, so it's not a completely fair comparison.

I have no idea whether this is related to SSL or not, but I wanted to mention it anyway as an FYI.  I believe Dossy (who is a he, btw :) is looking into it and I don't think it should stop you from upgrading, but it is something to keep an eye on.

Hi Charles, hi Janine,

thanks for sharing your experience and sorry for feminization  of Dossy...
Regarding possible memory (leakage) issues, it can't be amiss to have a 3.3 nsd in stand by.

Hi,

just a short report regarding our experience with AOLServer 4.0.8 and v3_0beta23:

On 21th October we moved AOLServer 4.0.8 from our "Sun" computer, which hosted Webserver and Oracle at that moment, to a linux box. The result was that most pages were at least twice faster than before (see https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=214343 for a few more details)

Regarding stability of SSL:
We also noticed that AOLServer 4.0.8 seems to need much more memory per thread and that there may be still some leakage issues. At least, when having maxthreads==minthreads, we saw a monotone increase of memory usage, sometimes being very close to or reaching swapping. Even with a very low number of connection threads it was a question of time.
So we configured AOLServer to kill its threads after about an hour by setting maxthreads=25, minthreads=20 and threadtimeout=3600. This seems to work stable (knocking on wood 😊 ).

I just saw that Dossy tagged nsopenssl "v3_0beta26", so maybe, we will try this one.