Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Translation server upgraded to OpenACS 5.1.2d4 and .LRN 2.1.0b3.

Hi Joel, Roc, thank you so much for your efforts.

I have a couple of suggestions and I'm willing to work on it once I finished the openacs.org upgrade.

- Is it possible to automatically install all packages that have catalog files (e.g. by adding a function to zz-postload.tcl that scans all directories if there is a catalogue file and if yes, try to install that package). I know this is hairy, but we could send an email to the maintainer given in the .info file if the install fails (making translate.openacs.org the testbed if something committed to CVS at least installs). Obviously we should only take into account packages with a maturity of 0.5 (maintainer thinks the package installs).

- How hard is it to have an upload button, that allows to upload an catalog xml file (you can deduct the locale and package name from the name of the file) and import with the usual conflict resultion.

Once we have both steps resolved, we could prevent CVS from accepting commits to /catalog except for en_US or from the translation server. The translation server then could commit all translated files once per night automatically (as there should be no conflicts).

What do you think (as first steps to a more generalized translation server interface).

Malte,

1. well, the best we can do is to add a parameter in .info to identify if the package is i18n, but you can do that *detecting* catalog dirs as well

2. I guess this is done,
in http://translate.openacs.org/acs-lang/admin/message-list?package%5fkey=acs%2ddatetime&locale=es%5fGT
you find the link:
# Import messages for this package and locale from catalog files
which basically refers to a catalog file for a given locale ...
though, ain't sure about conflict resolution ...

I think is a good idea, though not sure how practical is in real life, probably Joel can comment more on this since he has been working with translate for a while ...