Forum OpenACS Development: Translation server upgraded to OpenACS 5.1.2d4 and .LRN 2.1.0b3.

With assistance Dave B and especially from Rocael, who is now hosting translate.openacs.org at Galileo U, the translation server has been upgraded. Results:
  • The translation server is much faster.
  • All translations added to the translation server up to 13 Oct 2004 are now available in CVS on the oacs-5-1 branch.
  • 68 new message keys were added, primarily from dotlrn and file-storage.
  • Spanish (GT), German (DE), Catalan (ES), Spanish (ES), Malaysia (MY), Dutch (NL), Portuguese (BR), Danish (DK), Arabic (LB), and Chinese (CN) are all within 100 message keys of completion. If you translate these languages (or any other), please hop on to translate.openacs.org and help complete the catalogs in the next two weeks, before the release of .LRN 2.1.0.
  • Thanks to Dario, from the university of Valencia, Catalan has been added and is nearly complete.
  • Thanks to the efforts of Esti Alvarez at eFaber, Basque has been added with 832 messages already translated.
  • If someone would like to offer a new stylesheet to make the home page look less ugly, that would be very welcome.
Hey Joel, thanks for the great effort done!
I can do Dutch november 1 unless somebody else has the time to do it.
Hi Joel, Roc, thank you so much for your efforts.

I have a couple of suggestions and I'm willing to work on it once I finished the openacs.org upgrade.

- Is it possible to automatically install all packages that have catalog files (e.g. by adding a function to zz-postload.tcl that scans all directories if there is a catalogue file and if yes, try to install that package). I know this is hairy, but we could send an email to the maintainer given in the .info file if the install fails (making translate.openacs.org the testbed if something committed to CVS at least installs). Obviously we should only take into account packages with a maturity of 0.5 (maintainer thinks the package installs).

- How hard is it to have an upload button, that allows to upload an catalog xml file (you can deduct the locale and package name from the name of the file) and import with the usual conflict resultion.

Once we have both steps resolved, we could prevent CVS from accepting commits to /catalog except for en_US or from the translation server. The translation server then could commit all translated files once per night automatically (as there should be no conflicts).

What do you think (as first steps to a more generalized translation server interface).

Malte,

1. well, the best we can do is to add a parameter in .info to identify if the package is i18n, but you can do that *detecting* catalog dirs as well

2. I guess this is done,
in http://translate.openacs.org/acs-lang/admin/message-list?package%5fkey=acs%2ddatetime&locale=es%5fGT
you find the link:
# Import messages for this package and locale from catalog files
which basically refers to a catalog file for a given locale ...
though, ain't sure about conflict resolution ...

I think is a good idea, though not sure how practical is in real life, probably Joel can comment more on this since he has been working with translate for a while ...

From what version did you do an upgrade? PostgreSQL or Oracle?

If it was .LRN 2.0.3, can you Roc and Dave make a short list of what had to be done manually?

Thank alot in advance.

translate is running on pg, and the upgrade done that its on oacs-5-1 branch as well, works for both oracle & pg

I tested your user and works fine ...

Tried to log in but somehow I am redirected to the index page after submitting my login info and it says you are not logged in.

Any idea?

Collapse
9: Server down many times (response to 1)
Posted by Vidur Kanodia on
Hi! I am doing the translation for English-Hindi. The server is down on many occasions, like today morning it was fine and now its down again. Why is this happening so often.
Can anyone please help me out with this.

Thanks

Regaards,
Vidur