Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to ACS vs Zope?

Collapse
4: Response to ACS vs Zope? (response to 1)
Posted by Todd Gillespie on
G: I initially assumed your post was a troll, but your profile indicates some investment in the community so I must believe otherwise.  But let's point out:
You haven't installed either one.
You assume one is better than the other, from purely cosmetic reasons, and from this assume that ACS is 'behind' in an unnamed race.
You ask some bizarre questions "is ACS ten times faster" "will ACS have access to available components?".

With this backdrop, there's no meaningful comparison to anything: ACS-vs-Zope, ACS-vs-Vignette, ACS-vs-grilled-salmon-sandwich.  There are a number of interesting comparisons that could be developed in ACS-vs-Zope, eg, Zope's included OODB vs ACS's RDBMS dependence (better theoretical framework, easy corp integration, etc).  You could cover language choice, UI design, and data models; but I don't think you're here for any of that.

There's nothing stopping you from 'getting your feet wet' with either one.  We are actively making more pools, and trying to document them - I assure you you won't drown.  I see from an earlier post of yours that you have some anxiety about developing on EoL alpha code - I have to assert that general CS skills are more important than preserving first-round code.  Besides, you always have to throw the first one away...