Forum .LRN Q&A: New look and feel is in CVS

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Grumet on
Hi everybody,

A new look and feel for .LRN is committed to CVS.  This is the look that Sloan's been using since our upgrade to pre-2.1.

The CSS still has at least one known glitch in IE6:  on certain pages, if you mouse over certain links, the page body will jump up or down by 1 pixel relative to the tabs.

I'd really appreciate it if there are any CSS experts out there who might know how to fix this.  I was able to partially fix the problem by commenting out the "a:hover" styles.

Feel free to take a look at the new code on the server where I'm working (not a permanent URL):

http://ssm440-1.mit.edu:8001/

Collapse
Still needed: instructions for going back to the old look and feel if you don't like the new one.  Since we don't yet support theming at the .LRN level this is going to have to be a manual process.  I'm going to jot down some notes here to help with that.

Here are the files affected by the look and feel update:

packages/dotlrn/tcl/navigation-procs.tcl
packages/dotlrn/www/dotlrn-master.tcl
packages/dotlrn/www/dotlrn-master.adp
packages/dotlrn/www/resources/dotlrn-master.css
packages/new-portal/www/themes/sloan-theme.adp

In theory this should have only required modding .css files and maybe .adp files.  In theory.

The navigation-procs.tcl had to be modded to return a "ul" for the tabs instead of a table.

dotlrn-master.tcl was modded to return different style settings depending on whether the user is in their personal portal, a class portal or a community portal.

Reverting back to the old look, ideally, should only require reverting sloan-theme.adp to cvs version 1.5 and modding dotlrn-master.css and the style settings in dotlrn-master.tcl, but I haven't attempted it so can't be positive.

Cheers.

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Andrew,
I guet an error:

While trying to retrieve the URL: ssm440-1.mit.edu:8443

The following error was encountered:

* Access Denied.

Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect.

Rafael

Collapse
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for share this new code. I did the checkout from cvs (with -r oacs-5-1) to appreciate your contribution for installation at http://br.flacso.org.br. Some doubts I have:

- there is no tcl/navigation-procs.xql in cvs to deal with db_foreach list_page_nums_select {} statement in tcl/navigation-procs.tcl.

As you commented out the navigation-procs.tcl belongs to portal package then I just copy new-portal/tcl/portal-procs.xql to dotlrn/tc/navigation-procs.xql and change fullquery name to be more suitable to navigation-procs.tcl. It works but there is something about $sort_key i did not understand. Could you commit your code for navigation-procs.xql?

- in the dotlrn/www/resources/dotlrn-master.css code there is reference to tab-passive-*(bottom,left,right etc) as gif files  but there is only png files for tab-passive-* in cvs

Thank you

Collapse
Rafael -- it sounds from the error message like this is coming from somewhere in the network rather than from my test server at Sloan.  It's inconvenient for me to switch this over to a standard port at the moment, but we'll figure something out if this is the only option.

Orzenil -- argh, you're right, I forgot to commit those files.  I've just done it.  Please try again and thanks for your patience!

Files added:

tcl/navigation-procs.xql
www/resources/tab-active-left-comm.gif
www/resources/tab-active-left-course.gif
www/resources/tab-active-left-myspace.gif
www/resources/tab-active-right-comm.gif
www/resources/tab-active-right-course.gif
www/resources/tab-active-right-myspace.gif
www/resources/tab-passive-bottom.gif
www/resources/tab-passive-left-comm.gif
www/resources/tab-passive-left-course.gif
www/resources/tab-passive-left-myspace.gif
www/resources/tab-passive-right-comm.gif
www/resources/tab-passive-right-course.gif
www/resources/tab-passive-right-myspace.gif

Let me know if anything else is missing.

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Thanks a lot for adding this in before the release Andrew. It looks great.
Collapse
Posted by Orzenil Silva Junior on
Andrew,

new look is working great now! Thank you.

Just three more things:

- in tcl/navigation-procs.tcl there is a string "My Space" in

append navbar "<li><a href=\"$dotlrn_url\">My Space</a></li>"

could we change it to

append navbar "<li><a href=\"$dotlrn_url\">[_ dotlrn.user_portal_page_home_title]</a></li>"

to i18n issues?

- the package spec file has two new parameters named "dotlrn_toolbar_enabled_p" and "dotlrn_toolbar_show_info_p". I added these by hand. Just for learning, is it possible to apm  do it automatically for working installations? I tried reload package but package spec is not watched by apm.

- Suppose you are adding a calendar item or a file into file-storage in a class or community. We have the following title (from dotlrn-master.tcl) in these pages:

Calendar: Add Item
Upload New File

Could we have this title and add the community (or class) name? Something like this:

Add Calendar Item for COMMUNITY_NAME (or COMMUNITY_NAME \n Add Calendar Item)
Upload New File for COMMUNITY_NAME (or COMMUNITY_NAME \n Upload New File)

or better, IMO, could we put COMMUNITY_NAME into site-master (i do not know if it is possible)?

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I guess it looks greater, but sadly a couple of things are broken in my installation:
  • The tabs do not seem to work on firefox on "OS X". I only get the list.
  • The dotlrn toolbar was not hideable, due to the fact that the version number of dotlrn has not been increased despite the fact that new parameters were added. Fixed in CVS
  • If I turn of developer support, the dotlrn toolbar shows up beneath the list of Tabs, instead of on top of it.
  • Once I leave .LRN (e.g. for site wide administration or other packages) the list of tabs is still there.
  • The schedule fonts in the first line (e.g. "Items from November 27, 2004 to December 27, 2004") are way too small and not readable anymore.
Any help is appreciated.
Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I take it back. Firefox cached my CSS file even through restarts, had to manually reload the CSS before it worked. Bummer... Still not optimal though:
  1. Position of the dotlrn toolbar is very random once you disable the developer support toolbar.
  2. The list of tabs is still active, but it was before as I just realized, so maybe leave it at that (but it is a bug on sites if you have other applications with users not in .LRN)
  3. The font for schedule is still to small (but this seems to be a problem in calendar.css).
Good job and great contribution.