Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Name Change

Collapse
10: Response to Name Change (response to 1)
Posted by Adam Farkas on
Hi Dave. I'm going off the statistics that are available to me, comparing the Tcl versions to one another, as Java is immaterial to this discussion. It is a fundamentally different product. (and, of course, when discussing "downloads" one must question whether or not they are actually a good proxy for popularity.)

OpenACS is monolithic; That is, you get _every_ module by downloading just one, huge file.

ACS in contrast is downloaded as a core (1 piece), and as "applications" or "modules". The core, on its own, isn't too useful. People who download it will need to download _other_ modules as well, inflating the download statistics.

Taking a look at the acs-repository, I see that the bboard module (which is the most popular), has 2164 downloads; the "core" has 2714. So, this sounds to me like about 2700 people have downloaded it & given the system a whirl.

On the OpenACS side, I see 1400 downloads of OpenACS 3.2.5 which was released about a 1.5 months ago (!). Which gives me a pretty good sense of how many people are looking. (not to mention the 6700+ downloads of OpenACS 3.2.4, and the 3800 downloads of the RPMS of version 3.2.4)

I therefore conclude that the OpenACS project has a similar -- if not greater following -- than ACS "classic". I don't think I can say how much of that is due to the affiliation with aD corporate versus the inherent utility of openacs, community evangelism + riding on philip's popularity as a "personality". I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

As a guide, we might look at projects that are achieving similar ends as OpenACS like phpgroupware (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7305; It's been downloaded in excess of 7,000 times in two months, with no marketing budget, or affiliation with a larger firm. Just word-of-mouth.

An interesting subject, to be sure.