Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #71 (Proposed): Add Jon Griffin's new Paginator Procs to Core Release

The proposal is in two parts for that reason. The intention is to propose that we incorporate Jon's new work by making it accessible via list-builder. In the meantime though, anyone who has used these procs for a specific application will have their site break every time they do an 'Update from Repository' because the procs are not in ../acs-tcl/tcl/

I am proposing a two stage process.

I'm very leery of two-stage processes where step one goes away from our long-term direction and step two doesn't have anybody signed up to do the work or a clear plan on how to do the work.
RE: breaking existing code...

When merging Jon's code, why not rename it (or place it in a namespace) such that there will be no conflict between the existing code (not in the core) and the new core code? At the same time deprecate the non-core code so that developers are aware that it will be removed at some point. In the mean time, no code should break.

I think the moment we move Jon's code into the core, the naming will change from tools:: anyway, if we keep our naming conventions.

With the willingness of Rocal and Richard guaranteed to work on it for 5.2, I approve (for 5.2).