Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: IMS-LD: problem with a level B course

Collapse
Posted by Derick Leony on
Hi,

I imported the "Learning to listen to Jazz" UoL on imsld 1.2d and the distinction of paths (historical and thematic) worked for me; the activities appear in the tree but they aren't enabled so you can't see the content.

Now, Vermunt's ILS wasn't showing due to a typo in the property-group parsing process, I already committed the fix on HEAD and oacs-5-4 (You'll have to import the UoL again :).

Finally, HEAD & XoWiki: we've been working on flexibility of the UoL in the enactment process of the course (more about this in Valencia ;). Basically, the UoL text resources (HTML, text, ...) are imported as pages within the XoWiki instantiation within the course. This would mean imlsd depends on xowiki and on xowiki-applet being added in the course. So, the functionality that XoWiki performs is actually handling the resources of the UoL, which is pretty important. Since XoWiki not being part of .LRN, we'll probably make it an optional feature and leave the default to file-storage. Comments and suggestions are very welcome, as always.

Cheers.

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi Derick,

Thanks for the fix, I can now see and fill in the Vermunt's ILS although I get an error when I submit it:

Unstable state reached when evaluating conditions (An infinite loop was detected). Please, contact the administrator and review the conditions of the UoL.

I'll check on that with the author.

On the other side, I've tried to use the version of imsld from HEAD, after installing all the necessary packages, but I can't see any content with it (nothing appears in the content frame for any of the items). I'm using Firefox 3 on Mac OSX. I'll test it again with more time and try to document this a little more :).

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi Derick,

I ran into another problem :(.

I've done a fresh install of dotlrn 2.4.1 that includes imsld 1.2d. I've uploaded the Jazz LD being logged as a class admin with no swa privilege, created the groups, confirmed and finally got an error (imsld/admin/imsld-confirm-finish):

You don't have "write" permission on User's Folders

So it looks like the problem is at imsld::global_folder_id called by imsld::instance::instantiate_properties. When the global_folder_id doesn't exist it tries to create it under the user's folders (dotlrn root folder) after checking the current user has "write" privilege on that folder. A regular user like a profesor or an admin of a class doesn't have such privilege and shouldn't have them.

The quick fix is to remove the check so the folder can be created but it doesn't sound like the right one. IMO, this folder should be created at installation time along with the needed permissions on it.

Regarding permissions, imsld::global_folder_id sets "read" privileges on this folder, no "write" ones, so I wonder how this affects the storage of global properties afterwards.