Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #71 (Proposed): Add Jon Griffin's new Paginator Procs to Core Release

I have been studying the list-builder source code and trying to gain a basic understanding of what happens. I think Roberto is correct when he says that we need to extract what is good about Jon's paginator and incorporate that into list builder. Jon also mentioned that the important bit is the db procs from his work.

However, looking throught the list builder it seems to me that      its job is to poke around in the variable scope of the calling tcl and the display template to facilitate user modification of the underlying query. It seems from the comments that the intention was always to paginate in the db and so I wonder whether our supposed problem stems from a misuse of list builder rather than anything wrong with the code. If so we need to establish whether list builder builds queries using the postgres 'offset' and 'limit' keywords and then progress accordingly.

If it does then we should try to find where the performance issues or bugs stem from.

If it does not we need to change the paginator procs to support this way of doing it.

So in essence I gues I am now recommending voting against my own proposal! Sorry.

I will do some more work and then propose something more suitable.

Regards
Richard