Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS Social in San Francisco - Monday September 10th

The OpenACS Social phenomenon is coming to the West Coast (of the USA)!!! Join us for an eve of food, drinks and geeks in San Francisco on Monday, September 10th.

We have yet to select a space, but it will be a park with a nice view (and *relatively* little wind) in San Francisco.

For more information, contact Todd Gillespie at toddg@math.utexas.edu or Talli Somekh at talli@museatech.net.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

talli

I wanted to farm the details out to the group.  I theory, we should hold this from 6 pm to 9 pm, which is when the East Coast socials have been held.  As for the location, we are having a discussion in email about parks.  One group opines that the larger, nicer parks such as Buena Vista, Dolores, or Lafayette are preferrable; another points out that South Park, a smaller one in SOMA, is closer to the Caltrain and BART stations.  How about a vote?  Does anyone have a preference on these options, or can recommend another?  Is transportation within The City a significant obstacle?  Are there any constraints we have overlooked?
I live in Berkeley and I don't have a car, but I do have  a bike.  I
can jump on a Transbay bus (can't take BART with a bike during
peak hours which 6pm is on the edge of) and get anywhere in
the city without much problem.

That being said, I've gone to a fair amount of events in Delores
Park and I would prefer another location for variety's sake.

Thanks,

Okay, we'll be found in Buena Vista park from 6pm to 8pm. Standard niceness rules apply regarding notifying us about headcounts. Presumably we'll be on the north-east side, with the playground, seating, and facilities; and wind shelter as Talli pointed out.

For those unfamiliar with the MUNI system, the bus lines 6, 7, 66, 71 , and 37 adjunct the park. Additionally, the N-Judah at Duboce or the 24 at Haight get one quite close. Transit maps can be found online at sfmuni.org.

If you're driving I recommend coming up Fell and parking on the Panhandle, or up Market & Divisadero and parking south of the park.

For the bicyclists amongst us, I'll try to find some system of observation such as the SF Bike Coalition provides at events. I will be parking a monstrosity of a mountain bike, so I'd like to think it's safe.

Collapse
Posted by Roger Williams on
I am ignorant of the standard niceness rules. Does OACS not have an event module running? Anywayz, I plan to attend.

Regards..

No, we don't have an events module on the site.  Talli means "e-mail them!" when he talks about being nice.
Collapse
7: final directions (response to 1)
Posted by Todd Gillespie on
Starting from the north border of the park, walk up the hill, past the playground; head onto the eastern side of the park, but don't pass the tennis courts. There is a nice area there out of the wind, and between the playground, facilities, benches, and tennis courts, there are sufficient numbers of seating/lounging areas. Look for geeks.

See you all there, and if you can't find us shining happy people, you can call me at 650.248.1038 and receive n-digit precision GPS directions.

Let's do that again some time, but without mosquitos.