Forum OpenACS Development: Making OpenACS4 believe in itself

I just uploaded a couple of minor (some would say trivial) patches (number 46 and 47) that make both the interactive installer pages and the default main page after installation talk about OpenACS and not ACS, and point people to the openacs.org SDM not the aD one, etc.

Since we're close to an (alpha) release, this sort of stuff becomes worth doing IMO, so that we don't cause aD unwanted grief when newbie installers go to them for help with OpenACS 4.x!

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Marsden on
OK, forget patch #46, use #48 intead... it changes the 'Quick Links' as well as the rest of the content that points to aD.

BTW bafs #1120 and 1121 now exist and point at these patches:

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
At one point Ben said that OF would take charge of removing aD references scattered throughout the toolkit.  They or someone certainly should tackle this task sometime this week if they have time.
Collapse
Great!  I just made a start on the screens I saw during the install... if OpenForce can do it more completely and thoroughly throughout the product in the next few days, fantastic... otherwise, at least we can use my patches for the first alpha release.

There are a lot of references to aD in the documentation, but acs-core-docs is not yet 'PORTED' so presumably those "don't count" at this stage?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Docs don't count at this stage, though if you want to whack away at documents e-mail Roberto and let him know.  I can't imagine him turning away help even though he's not yet made any "official" plans public.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Hmmm...a note on submitting patches...the SDM runs patch with "-p0", which means that you need to be inside your openacs4 directory when you run diff to make the patch file.  You can use CVS to make your patch file, too, which is safest (and will list files in a way compatible with patch -p0, it appears).
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
BTW I did apply your patch, I just had to download it rather than apply it from within the SDM (just so there's no confusion, you don't need to resubmit it!)

I also applied your autoinstaller patch ...

Collapse
Thanks, Don. Sorry for the extra patch application grief. I've never used the SDM to patch anything. I only have anon CVS access 😊 Making patches with diff -uNr from above the place where you untar the tarball (and later applying with -p1) is a common RPM world convention, so it is what I tend to do out of habit. I'll try using cvs -z3 -q diff -N -u for OpenACS4 from now on.

BTW, you've apparently not committed those patches yet... I just did a cvs update, and they didn't show up here. No rush at all, I'm glad they were useful.

I've been waiting for Roberto's "doc doc" to go public, for a while now... I'll send him email and see if I can be useful.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
No, I've not committed the changes, I had to patch them locally and have been very busy with a client this AM.  I'll get them committed later today or sometime tomorrow.

The SDM probably needs to let the admin choose what directory to CD to
when running patch, and what -pN value to run patch with.

It would also be slick if it would let you optionally upload your new version of a file and generate the patch for you against the current cvs source, then let you
inspect and confirm it.