Forum OpenACS Q&A: Installed OpenACS eventually

Collapse
Posted by Simon Nuttall on
I spent a whole day trying to get OpenACS installed yesterday and I made it - eventually.
(Debian Woody, Postgresql)

I had the following problems...

I had to remove nsrewrite from config.tcl

The installation pages refer to version 5.2.0d1 but this is not on the download page.Searching the site for the string "5.2.0d1" produces no results, yet searching google.co.uk for "5.2.0d1" produces results on openacs.org site.

The prerequesite pages said I needed tdom and tcl without giving help on installing them. I installed them, then when I got further thru the installation it explained how to install tdom and tcl! I suppose thats my fault for not reading thru the whole installation procedure first.

By the way, thanx for replies to my earlier posting.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Congratulations Simon. May I inquire which documentation you have been using and where did you download the code, as to my knowledge all information is present in the documentation that I usually use.

As for the prerequesite page, I do agree that we should take out quite some items (e.g. tdom and tcl) as we describe the installation on a seperate page.

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
I don't know that they need to be removed, just clarified. The word "prerequisite" is confusing there[1], because it suggests that the software needs to be installed before following instructions. What title would better fit the content of the page which is about software versions matrix and Openacs software dependencies and requirements?

https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-5-1/individual-programs.html

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
I had to remove nsrewrite from config.tcl

Why was nsrewrite in config.tcl again ? It was removed/commented AFAIK.

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
I think you were installing the development version rather than the release version. The instructions for the released version refer to 5.1.3: https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-5-1/openacs.html.