Forum OpenACS Q&A: LDAP Module Installation in 5.1.x

Collapse
Posted by Bob Powell on
Hello,

I have been searching for information on "how to" install LDAP authentication in the 5.1.x version of OpenAcs. I have found some links that appear to be "dead" and other white papers but no actual install information.

Would someone please point me in the right direction or at least let me know what the status of this is. One of the many reasons I upgraded to 5.1.x was to use the LDAP authentication. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
Here is apparently a copy of the readme:
http://home.galileo.edu/~obonilla/software/nsldap
which appears to have install instructions.

Try the latest nsldap tarball:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3152

and let me know
a) which link is useful and current
b) where the bad links were

so I can fix them.

Collapse
Posted by Bob Powell on
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

On the ACS site under "documentation", "openacs 5.1.x", "installed packages" "authentication", "installing LDAP support" install auth-LDAP OpenACS service package" then "install" link. Permissions aren't granted to get to documents.

The option #1 above that also takes me to Oscar Bosilla's site but there is no installation information there either.

Under 'uninstalled packages' there is a link for "ACS LDAP authentication where I also looked for information. That link takes me to white papers but no installation information.

Thanks again !

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hi Bob, how do you want to install LDAP. Note there are two possible scenarios:

1) You install LDAP to store your passwords encrypted in the database. Then you are clear to go.

2) You use LDAP to authenticate against. Then you need the patched LDAP sources which I have lying around somewhere and which Oscar wanted to clean up a bit :).

I know parts of the documentation are patchy at best, but if you could tell us where your problems are or if you hang out on IRC while I'm there, I'm more than happy to help