Forum OpenACS Q&A: Where to get _real_ Aolserver 3.3.1ad13?

I downloaded it from AD website (found it at http://www.arsdigita.com/acs-repository/one-version?version_id=2081), but after compiling and running it I noticed, that it introduces itself 'Aolserver 3.2ad10'. I checked dates of the sources and the latest is November 1, 2001, so I think it is not 3.3.1ad13.

I do not want to speculate whether this was done by AD by mistake or in purpose. I just need the right tarball 😊. Can anyone offer it for download, please? I know that there are RPMs, but I need the source in order to test OpenACS 4 on my Debian box.

Collapse
Posted by Marcin Bajer on
> the latest is November 1, 2001
Ooops, my mistake 😊 It's 2000 in fact.
Collapse
Posted by Robert Gaszewski on
You can download it from Roberto's site: http://www.brasileiro.net/openacs/
Collapse
Posted by S. Y. on
I do not want to speculate whether this was done by AD by mistake or in purpose.

ArsDigita most certainly did not do this on purpose. I downloaded this tarball in July from www.arsdigita.com and the accurate version information is in root/aolserver/nsd/nsd.h. I checked a few minutes ago.

If what you say is true, you should contact ArsDigita to have them replace the current tarball with the correct one.

Collapse
Posted by Jerry Asher on
I just downloaded it, and the file aolserver/nsd/nsd.h states that it is AOLserver 3.3ad13.  I compared aolserver/nssock/sock.cpp with sources I've been downloading various times over the summer and it's identical.  This tells me it's source based on AOLserver 3.3, as sock.cpp changed dramatically between versions 3.2 and 3.3.
Collapse
Posted by S. Y. on
Make sure you are actually running your newly compiled nsd and not the old one. Makefile.global wants to put the binaries in /home/aolserver, if I remember correctly. If you did a simple gmake, gmake install, and restarted AOLserver, most likely you are still running your old binary (who knows, maybe /usr/local/aolserver or /home/nsadmin), and the new stuff lives somewhere else on your system. If you need to test, do an ls -l, make sure you are in the new binary area, and run in nsd in the foreground.
Collapse
Robert, Sean and Jerry - thanks a lot for your helpful comments.

After reading the Sean's second comment I thought: "yes, that is possible I am that lame" 😊 In fact I was running nsd from /usr/local/aolserver, but that is also the default prefix specified in aolserver/include/Makefile.global, so I was running the binaries compiled a while ago, not some old ones.

The problem lies somewhere else, but since I got the right sources from the Roberto's site, I do not care anymore. However I am still curious what happened. Here is what I did: I had problems getting the tarball from arsdigita.com via browser (Lynx, to be specific), so I managed to extract the right (?) link and feeded it to wget:

wget -t0 http://www.arsdigita.com/acs-repository/download/other/237/aolserver-src.tar.gz 
Looks like this link leads to the older version of the Aolserver tarball.

I am wgetting the file again from AD right now and it looks thats the same file I got 2 days ago (size in bytes: 3,659,734). Jerry, what is the size of the tarball you checked?

Collapse
Posted by Jerry Asher on
dired reports that what I have, aolserver-src.tar.gz is 3676802 bytes.
Collapse
Thanks. So it looks like AD website serves two different files as Aolserver3.3ad13: one for Lynx browser (I got this one) and another one for other browsers. Hm, funny 😊