Forum OpenACS Development: Ecommerce on OpenACS 5.4.3

Collapse
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
I have previously used, and extensively customised ecommerce on OpenACS 4.6.3, and am therefore quite familiar with the code.

I know there has been interest in the past from various quarters in updating the code base and that there have been compatibility issues with the latest OACS core.

I now have a personal requirement for ecommerce on an OACS 5.4.3 installation and so will be able to contribute time to it.

I would therefore be very interested to know what the state of play is. Is anyone working on it at the moment? If so who? What work has been done already? What can I do to help?

If no-one is currently working on it then I propose the following:

1) Install codebase and hack away until it works with 5.4.3
2) Plan a programme of work to re-engineer the code according to modern wisdom

I would be grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.

Regards
Richard

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Torben Broston is your guy, I think ... they use e-commerce heavily.
Collapse
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Thanks Don.

Regards
Richard

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Hi Richard,

Ecommerce is working fine on cvs head.

I copied the head version to oacs-5-4 a couple of months ago, but have fixed a few bugs (and added some features since then).

I'll update oacs-5-4 shortly ( as soon I figure out how to do that again).

Something that needs done:

Make the browse categories pages scale better. Locally, we have some categories with thousands of items taking much too long to serve. I think we need to simplify the queries and specialize the code to work for categories, subcategories, or subsubcategories instead of handling all the cases in one or two pages.

I'm also working on some pagination code that more conveniently browses a long list of items.

What are you inspired to do?

cheers,

Torben

Collapse
Another thing I want to add soon: a reseller feature.
Collapse
Hi Richard,

It is probably best for now if you can work from cvs head, because I now remember making some minor changes in acs-core to get register referrals from ecommerce to redirect back to ecommerce.

Also the oacs-5-4 branch of ecommerce is looking like a tag in cvs. I probably created the wrong label type or label name for ecommerce when I tried merging the head version on oacs-5-4 branch a few months ago.