Forum OpenACS Q&A: Stonebraker's Streambase, Aurora, and Borealis

I just noticed Stonebraker's latest startup, Streambase, which apparently is a fork of the Aurora and Medusa projects at MIT. Interestingly, the academic branch of the fork is also still active, as the Borealis "Second Generation Stream Processing Engine". This very brief 2005-01-19 interview has some good info, but the many papers from the academic groups have much more.

I find both the overlap with and differences from current RDBMS engines interesting...

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It's worth noting for those not on top of their ancient history that Stonebraker's the original designer of the "gres" query language, and the RDBMS built around it, which when later modified to accept SQL as its query language became known as "postgres" ...
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
I think the query language was called "QUEL" and it was relational, as opposed to SQL, that breaks the relational model in several important ways.

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Lamar Owen on
QUEL was in University Ingres;
University Postgres (the last version of which was 4.2) used POSTQUEL (as opposed to SEQUEL). Postgres95 (aka Postgres 5, or even PostgreSQL 5) changed to SQL.
Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
FYI, Stonebraker's giving a talk on StreamBase this Thurs. at MIT. See the schedule on ieeeboston.org or gbcacm.org for details.