Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Just a suggestion

Collapse
16: Re: Just a suggestion (response to 1)
Posted by xx xx on
Ok, I suppose postgres is precompiled and delivered as a zipped directory. It is less flexible but saves a lot of time (and problems?). FreeBSD more or less uses (automatically created) packages for this.

I think we should really look into darwinports (http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/docs/ch01s03.html) since that would offer full flexibility (except for windows?). Is there anybody that has tried it and do we have a "general" OCT opinion about demo's and full server installers (graphical installer, ports, RPM, knoppix etc..)?

It seems Vlassis got stuck with Linux development in August '04 due to his MSc dissertation and less experience with Linux, but I could be wrong. A graphical installer is probably a good user experience, but I haven't tried it (yet).

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
If Vlassis has the time (or someone else) it might be worthwhile to change the Windows Installer to present .LRN 2.1 along with PostgreSQL 8.0 (which runs natively on Windows).
Collapse
Posted by Steve Manning on
It would be nice to dispense with the requirement for Java and run the installer through tk - that way it could possibly be incorporated into a tclkit and require no initial installation at all.

- Steve