Forum OpenACS Q&A: Error with libtdom.so

Collapse
Posted by Luis Garcia on

I get the following error when starting the service (I got this from the error log file):

[15/Feb/2005:00:18:59][5762.16384][-main-] Notice: modload: loading '/usr/local/aolserver/bin/libtdom.so'

[15/Feb/2005:00:18:59][5762.16384][-main-] Warning: modload: no such symbol 'Ns_ModuleInit' in module '/usr/local/aolserver/bin/libtdom.so'

[15/Feb/2005:00:18:59][5762.16384][-main-] Fatal: modload: failed to load module '/usr/local/aolserver/bin/libtdom.so'

I already tried what this thread suggests:

https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=136168

And that did not work.

Collapse
Posted by Luis Garcia on

I really need help with this problem. I've been trying all kind of stuff and none of them seen to work. I read on the yahoo tDOM group that I need to have another file called libtdom0.7.5g.so in addition to my libtdom0.7.5.so. Is that correct? Did I do something wrong during config/compiling?

Thanks

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Maybe you answered this before but why aren't you using aolserver 4.0?
Collapse
4: Re: Error with libtdom.so (response to 1)
Posted by Luis Garcia on

Hi Jeff,

No I have not answered that question. In fact that is a VERY good question. See, if you check out this link (which is the list of requirements in the CURRENT documentation):

https://openacs.org/doc/current/individual-programs.html

then scroll down to the part where it says "Web Server", then you will see:

AOLserver 3.3oacs1, REQUIRED.  Mat Kovach's source...

If that wasn't there, then I would have gone a different route.

Collapse
5: Re: Error with libtdom.so (response to 1)
Posted by Luis Garcia on
Now, if some one can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.
Collapse
6: Re: Error with libtdom.so (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
1. Thanks for finding the error in our current documentation, sorry about that.

2. It sounds like you've not compiled tDOM to work with AOLserver 3.x. There are special instructions in the tDOM download for doing so, I forget exactly what you need to do but the instructions are clear. I know this is the problem because they cause tDOM to be compiled as an AOLserver 3.x module, and the "missing NS_ModuleInit" error makes clear it has NOT been compiled as an AOLserver 3.x module.

3. If you can switch to AOLserver 4, life will be easier. You can run tDOM without the special compile. But fixing #2 above isn't hard, just dig around the doc files and I'm sure you'll find it.

Collapse
7: Re: Error with libtdom.so (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
BTW you can often get more immediate help in our IRC channel, #openacs.

Then again often there's no one there :)

Collapse
8: Re: Error with libtdom.so (response to 1)
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I updated the documentation on HEAD and openacs.org.
Collapse
9: Re: Error with libtdom.so (response to 1)
Posted by Luis Garcia on

Thanks for the help; I went to aol 4.0 and yes it was much better. Thanks for changing the docs. It is very confusing and at times misleading (like that one for instance). I saw several others... but too sleepy right now. As with the other versions I'm very impress and I'm sure the person I have to show this to will be as well. I still think you guys have to strive for an automatic installation. I tried ccm from red hat which is the predecesor to OACS and you can install it very quickly with rpm files. I'm sure you guys can accomplish that very easily.

Excellent! and thanks again!