Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Will Dr. OpenACS survive? Or why I stopped worrying and learned to love the .LRN consortium?

I love Talli like a brother so I didn't mind saying that his comments are not only off the mark but offensive. I don't mind accepting criticism but have no patience with people who are only looking to cast blame.

I did some calculations last night. .LRN institutions have invested at least $1.5 million of hard dollars in OpenACS. If you count soft dollars, which is much harder to measure, that investment amounts to at least another $1 million. That's not a trivial investment.

Going into open source at the time we did was a risky decision. Give us some credit for that. The leadership of .LRN is also not being paid by its institutions to participate in the community, which means that we are also volunteering our time and this ends up being our second and third jobs.

We are not perfect. We are not omnipotent. Have we have contributed to OpenACS. Yes. Could we do more? Yes. Could we do better? Yes. But we have nothing to apologize for, least to Talli.

So, Talli: Go ____ yourself.