I perceive a slowdown in our public activity (bboards...), that has
being going on for a few weeks now.
I was particularly keen about the documentation project, does anyone
know the status?

Here (at Sydney Uni) we are building a couple (2) sites, mot much
debugging or porting. I hope to be able to make the templates
available by the end of the week. I hope that we can have a couple of
templates were casual users can easily create an acceptable site with
the code,templates and graphics we provide.

Regretably the news package wasn't working, and most of the visible
site is yet static (until friday). I will post the URL and upload the
templates at the end of the week, suggestions about the layout
are welcome.

Collapse
2: Response to slowing down (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
News should be working now, can you provide me some details?

As far as the pace slowing down, documentation's lagging and we need to figure out a way to speed that process up.  I get the impression that quite a few folks are busy with projects using one alpha version or another of the toolkit and in that sense have drifted off.

Also the period from Thanksgiving to New Years is typically pretty dead in the US, in my experience.  A lot of people are busy with holiday preparations, gift buying, planning, travel, etc.

I think we'll see a resurgance after the first of the year, when this release is finished and we start publishing wish lists for changes and new features in our second release cycle.

Collapse
3: Response to slowing down (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Rafael,

News is now working on PG.  I use this already, please email me or Rob Locke if there are any problems.  Of course the search does not fucntion that well since there are still some problems with OpenFTS.

Collapse
4: Response to slowing down (response to 1)
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
Jun, what are the problems with OpenFTS?
Collapse
5: Response to slowing down (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Neophytos,

I believe that the problem is that is not package aware.  For example file-storage is a CR app and so is CMS.  A search on file-storage will yield results from CMS, the same goes with News.  Not really sure if this an OpenFTS problem or the service contract may need more parameters.  I believe Rob Locke can furthere elaborate on this behaviour of search.  I have been working with modetp with some collaboration with Luke P, so I am dont really know the guts of News module.

Collapse
6: Response to slowing down (response to 1)
Posted by David Eison on
I suspect part of the problem is that daily alerts don't seem to be making it out (at least I'm not getting 'em anymore)?
Collapse
7: Response to slowing down (response to 1)
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
We got news working a couple of days ago. Halvard fixed something and I have asked him to post the patch. You can already visit our new site. The templates will be made available soon so people can have a reasonable good looking site easily. thanks
Collapse
8: Response to slowing down (response to 1)
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
The News package as downloaded from CVS on 12/13/01 fails when previewing a new news item:
can't read "file_size": no such variable
    while executing
"if { $file_size > 0 } {
    set publish_body [read [open ${text_file.tmpfile}]]
}"
    ("uplevel" body line 115)
    invoked from within
"uplevel {
    	  # /packages/news/www/preview.tcl

ad_page_contract {
    This page previews the input from item-create or admin/revision-add

..."
    (procedure "code::tcl::/web/openacs-4/packages/news/www/preview" line 2)
    invoked from within
"code::tcl::$__adp_stub"
    invoked from within
"if { [file exists $__adp_stub.tcl] } {

# ensure that data source preparation procedure exists and is up-to-date
      adp_init tcl $__adp_stub
..."
    ("uplevel" body line 3)
    invoked from within
"uplevel {

if { [file exists $__adp_stub.tcl] } {

# ensure that data source preparation procedure exists and is up-to-date
      adp_init t..."
    (procedure "adp_prepare" line 3)
    invoked from within
"adp_prepare "
    (procedure "template::adp_parse" line 31)
    invoked from within
"template::adp_parse [file root [ad_conn file]] {}"
    (procedure "adp_parse_ad_conn_file" line 7)
    invoked from within
"$handler"
    ("uplevel" body line 2)
    invoked from within
"uplevel $code"
    invoked from within
"ad_try {
	$handler
      } ad_script_abort val {
	# do nothing
      }"
    invoked from within
"rp_serve_concrete_file [ad_conn file]"
    (procedure "rp_serve_abstract_file" line 60)
    invoked from within
"rp_serve_abstract_file "$root/$path""
    ("uplevel" body line 2)
    invoked from within
"uplevel $code"
    invoked from within
"ad_try {
	rp_serve_abstract_file "$root/$path"
	set tcl_url2file([ad_conn url]) [ad_conn file]
	set tcl_url2path_info([ad_conn url]) [ad_conn path_inf..."

The item that I tried to post didn't have a file attached to it.
Collapse
9: Response to slowing down (response to 1)
Posted by Robert Locke on
Thanks Bart!

Were you using Opera as your browser?

One of my officemates actually saw this problem, but it only occurred with Opera, and not with any other browsers (ie, IE, Mozilla, Netscape worked fine).

I didn't have time to look further into it, but I appreciate your fix.  I'm sure you tested it with the other popular browsers as well, yes?

Thanks again...

Collapse
10: Response to slowing down (response to 1)
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
Robert, Halvard posted the solution for this problem already. Check out Bugfix for News package, CVS on 4-Dec-2001 .
Collapse
11: Response to slowing down (response to 1)
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
Jun wrote:
I believe that the problem is that is not package aware. For example file-storage is a CR app and so is CMS. A search on file-storage will yield results from CMS, the same goes with News. Not really sure if this an OpenFTS problem or the service contract may need more parameters.
This is not an OpenFTS problem. The fact that both the CMS package and file-storage use the CR is irrelevant w.r.t the search package. The search package discriminates between items stored in the CR (or anywhere else) based on their object type. So as long as you have different object types you *will* be able to do object-type specific searches (this is just not in the ui yet). The package-specific feature is not yet implemented in the OpenACS search package (so I wouldn't call it a problem). As I have already posted in another thread, I'm gonna enhance the search package during the xmas holidays to include package-specific search functionality. I would like to clarify that there's a difference between object-type specific search and package-specific search. For example, the former shall allow the user to search all news items (from all package instances that create news items) while the latter will enable the user to search all searchable items of a package instance. On a similar track, we should be able to do mime-type-specific search, i.e. search all images (ala google).

Note: I'm out of town for the weekend. I'm gonna be able to give more details when I'm back home. Also, I'm going to post some notes about future work/improvements on OpenACS late December, early January. Best wishes to everyone.