Forum OpenACS Q&A: Update on dotLRN

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
OpenForce is making great progress with dotLRN and we expect to release it to the community in January. I know many of you are eager to see it, but if you can be patient for a few more weeks. We are almost there...
Collapse
Posted by Simon Munch-Andersen on
Any news? Do you have a more precise idea of a release date?
Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
We expect to release dotLRN to the community at the end of the month. I would characterize it as an early Beta. We will also provide an opportunity for people to get accounts on the MIT Sloan system if they wish to "kick the tires" without having to download and install their own version.
Collapse
Posted by Simon Munch-Andersen on
It's now the 02/02...any news?
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It's slipped, but Open Force is making good progress.
Collapse
Posted by Sam Snow on
I too will be excited to take a look at dotLRN, and interested to see if it offers any student grade display functions, similar to the Basmati Project (http://basmati.sourceforge.net/).
Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Sorry for the news blackout. We have hired Caroline Meeks, the original project manager responsible for ACES, to serve as a point person for the community and facilitate access to .LRN. I will send everyone her contact information next week.

We are also close to getting commitment from MIT to provide major funding and resources for the development of .LRN version 2. The goal of version 2 is to enhance a) existing functionality for course management and online communities and b) add new modules for content management and learning management. We would also re-visit the architecture to make sure that it's scaleable for large installations such as MIT.

We are totally commited to this opensource effort.

Collapse
Posted by Allan Regenbaum on
Can anyone comment on the extent to which .LRN may be suitable for the k-12  (or 5-12)  level ... or will .LRN be too sophisticated for that environment...  can it be dumbed down to suit the complexity of the school ?
Collapse
Posted by Tapiwa Sibanda on
Can anyone in the dotLRN camp please give an update on the release schedule?
Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
We are currently testing the CVS repository and will be opening it
up within a few days. Thanks everyone for your patience. This
will be alpha-level code, although we're pretty happy with the
level of stability we're at.
Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
So, is CVS going to be opened or what? I don't think anyone in the community is going to be annoyed at OF if they have to deal with "pre-alpha" code.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
The dotLRN CVS tree will be available to the public starting on
Friday, March 29th. This will be pre-alpha code. We will begin
setting up methods for contribution shortly thereafter.

I want to thank everyone for their patience. Given the complexity
and end-user aspect of dotLRN, I think it will quickly become
apparent why it was necessary to establish solid direction
before opening up the code.