Forum OpenACS Development: SOAP Package: tsoap

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I'm happy to announce the upload of the tsoap package to OpenACS head. This package has been developed by Timo Hentschel and provides the SOAP interface written in tclsoap, but uses tDOM instead of TclDOM, thereby allowing OpenACS to make use of this functionality.

A demo script for babblefish is included in the source. Furthermore a simple query system for the eLink System is available on request (the reason why we started the SOAP port in the first place).

Collapse
2: Re: SOAP Package: tsoap (response to 1)
Posted by Nick Carroll on
That's good news Malte! Do you know if the SOAP implementation supports arrays?
Collapse
3: Re: SOAP Package: tsoap (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Thanks Malte and Timo!

Is this getting integrated back into TclSOAP? It would be great to just package require TclSOAP.

Collapse
4: Re: SOAP Package: tsoap (response to 1)
Posted by Nagita Karunaratne on
Can you explain what the eLink System is? There are many 'eLink's on Google.
Collapse
5: Re: SOAP Package: tsoap (response to 1)
Nick, to be honest, this is a question Timo has to answer, but the way we use it on our side is like this:

- Multiple XML encoded Objects are send via SOAP.
- We run a foreach like: foreach id [array names contacts] {

If this is what you mean by array support then yes.

Dave, we can't put it back into TclSOAP as we would have to write a lot of IF statements (if tdom installed then use this code, otherwise that code). This is why we went with a seperate tsoap package in OpenACS (which can be used outside of OpenACS as well). Taking into account that not much has happend with TclSOAP in the last two years, I think this is a valid approach. And you don't need TclSOAP, only TCLLib when using the tsoap package.

Nagita, the eLink System is a Intranet / CRM solution which one of our clients is using as it has very nice and handy integration with Outlook and the like. For more information look at http://www.nextapplication.com/elink/.

Collapse
6: Re: SOAP Package: tsoap (response to 1)
Posted by Jeff Davis on
The way the TclSOAP guy wanted things to work was that there was a shim to make tDOM work (the file is dom.tcl in TclSOAP). I actually got it working for creating requests but never quite got there for parsing requests. I have been in touch with Pat Thoyts about it and I think if I get him interested in figuring out what I am missing then he might put that back in (and we could use the standard TclSOAP package).
Collapse
7: Re: SOAP Package: tsoap (response to 1)
If you get him interested, you might point him to the code in tsoap packages, as this has already achieved the goal.
Collapse
8: Re: SOAP Package: tsoap (response to 1)
Posted by Jeff Davis on
He might look but I doubt he would be interested in doing
it the way you did it since he would want to continue to
support TclDOM as well (although maybe he would switch --
there are some serious drawbacks with the TclDOM implementation). Did you run the interop stuff or the
test suite against your code (in the interop/ and tests/ directories of TclSOAP).