Forum OpenACS Q&A: Forums: Read Private Data - Problem

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Hi,

I have a question regarding forums.
After the upgrade many students complain that they don't
have any access to the forum instances any more.

I checked forums-portlet/www/forums-portlet.tcl and found the following fragment:

if { [acs_privacy::privacy_control_enabled_p] } {
set private_data_restriction [db_map dbqd.forums-portlet.www.forums-portlet.restrict_by_private_data_priv]
} else {
set private_data_restriction ""
}

This results to the following sql add-on:

and exists (
select 1
from acs_object_party_privilege_map ppm
where ppm.object_id = forums_forums.package_id
and ppm.party_id = :user_id
and ppm.privilege = 'read_private_data'
)

Simply removing this part displays the forums again but if the user tries to post something it results in:

We're sorry, but it appears that you do not have the permission to perform this operation.

Any idea how I can fix that problem?

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I'd circumwent this in the dotlrn-security-procs.tcl, but there must be thread concerning this somewhere in this forum.
Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
This url offers some sql that may be helpful in identifying blocking points in permissions inheritence.

http://grumet.net/writing/programmer/openacs/forum-permissions

and this followup page may help explain how it is supposed to work

http://grumet.net/writing/programmer/openacs/guests-in-dotlrn

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Was there not an upgrade script to set the permissions correctly? This came from Sloan, you might e-mail Andrew Grumet for help. Forums are surpressed for those who don't have the read_private_data priv. While Torbsen's hints are handy for understanding permissions, this isn't a problem in the permissions system but rather that your students don't have the read private data permission.

These aren't guest users, right? Real students?

Collapse
Don, these are real students. Where can I set the read private data flag? Which table?
Collapse
Can someone tell me where I can set the flag for a given user that he/she can read private data?