Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to the good, the bad & the ugly

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
You have noticed that 4.x is in an *alpha* state?  Have you considered that one of the reasons might be because installation documentation isn't complete, a clean OpenACS tarball of AOLserver+nsxml+the right db drivers hasn't been made, etc?

Would you mind not holding us up to product standards until maybe *beta*?  Or if you're feeling particularly charitable maybe you won't hold us to product standards until we say it's a product?

We haven't migrated to the new website yet because there were performance problems with the PG version of OpenACS 4.x (remember, still *alpha*, right?  Are you with me?)  These are mostly solved now.

If you're in a big hurry, you can always buy us an Oracle license, since OpenACS 4/Oracle is somewhat more stable and ready to go than the PG version.

Anyway, thanks for volunteering me and the rest of the crew for a whole ton of work that needs to be done immediately.  It's a pity that at the moment I'm doing some client contract work to pay bills and buy food, and won't be able to drop everything in order to do all these things you've just told me need to be done.  I just spent a solid three months doing absolutely nothing but work on OpenACS (for free) and need a little revenue, so you're just going to have to wait.

Now, if you're willing to *help* rather than just tell us what we need to do, as you've noticed there's plenty of stuff that needs doing, therefore plenty of opportunity to pitch in.