Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Content Repository: Pros & Cons

Collapse
Posted by Alex Sokoloff on
I looked at the Content Repository last fall to support a sort of one-off content management application for a website, one where the site had a fixed page structure, but various elements of the pages - images, articles, and page layouts could be updated. At first the CR seemed perfect for the job - that's one of the main types of functions it's supposed to support, judging by the documentation.

As I got more into the details, though, it didn't seem like there was a very clean way to use it. As far as I could tell, each page needed to be modelled as a container content item, and images and text elements could be child content items. This was necessary because a given page could contain a variable number of images and so on. Working this way, I couldn't see a non-ugly way to preserve/reproduce the history of revisions. When you use Edit This Page, for example, you can look at past versions of a page. But ETP probably doesn't use parent and child items. When you do use hierarchies of cr_items,
only parent and child content items have a relationship to one another, there's no relationship between their respective revisions.

This felt like a design limitation at the time, but I didn't get to pursue the problem as much as I'd have liked to (project canceled) and maybe I was missing something important.