Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to What does "Enterprise Class" mean?

Collapse
Posted by Todd Gillespie on
Okay, so I won nothing with my last post. But my point stands -- 'Enterprise' is a point-in-time evaluation of a system, the people using it, and the procedures to extend and support it. It is a human problem, and like the poor bastard who carries the 24/7 support pager, you can't get away from it.

Of course none of this helps Musea sell OACS ("oaks") to clients. I should add one more plank, then, for marketing's sake. An 'Enterprise capable' tool is flexible. The API is highly orthagonal, modules are well integrated, the data model is kept in one place with powerful modifiers (eg, a RDBMS), and simple yet powerful transforms are possible (page_contract, ns_ filters, etc); debugging is easy to trace. Flexibility is extremely important so that a client's staff may quickly learn how to maintain and extend the Enterprise. I think OACS fulfills this far better than the over-engineered Java app servers running on W2K (which still crashes twice a day for me). This is not the same as easy to use -- the simplicity and orthagonality of the system is the important point, not the inclusion of a few "wizards"; the "wizards" can't help the user do something unanticipated.

Talli, I do like your idea of presentation. It might just work.

No haiku about "Enterprise", but since you asked:

you - step into my
office. why? 'cause you're freaking
fired! plum blossom.

And that's it. I'm going back to bed.