Forum .LRN Q&A: .LRN Survey Results

Collapse
Posted by Alvaro Rodriguez on
A while ago we sent out a Survey about .LRN, it was answered primarily by Consortium Members and some developers. This is a nice feedback about how institutions are using .LRN, what packages they use the most, suggestions for improvements and what they would expect from the community.

How are you using .LRN?
  • Educational system of the University
  • Official campus LMS for administering classes and groups

What would you like to be added to .LRN?
  • Less bugs
  • Focus on enhacing and bugfixing the current tools
  • Better documentation for end-user (students, teachers, ...) and developers
  • Help sections (?-icons) in most pages for students and teachers

What would you expect from .LRN community?
  • Continue with the yearly .LRN/OpenACS conference
  • Feedback from members about improvements

What would you like that the .LRN Consortium do for you?
  • Focus on stabilizing the current tools
  • Assist with work related to contribute locally developed code for newer versions of .LRN.
  • Better organization to give institutions a reason to support the consortium
  • Provide a quality level for the toolkit, ensuring high performance and reliability of the applications
  • Ensuring compliance with the current web and eLearning standards and specifications.

Based on your experience with .LRN, what do you think is the most important thing that must be added to .LRN?
  • Less bugs
  • Accessibility: WCAG compliant due to laws and regulations related to accessibility
  • A simpler and more pedagogical UI, with more icons.
  • Better documentation for end-user (students, teachers, ...) and developers

What are the packages that you use the most?
  • Evaluation
  • Assessment
  • Forums
  • File-storage
  • Xowiki
  • Calendar
  • Bulk-mail

What are the functionalities you need in the most common packages?
  • Scalability for a large numbers of member
  • Bug-free
  • Clone, copy, move elements from one instance to another
  • Uninstall methods
  • Collaborative participation.
Collapse
2: Re: .LRN Survey Results (response to 1)
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi all,

Thanks Alvaro for posting the results. Out of curiosity, do we know how many users answered the survey? and how many are postgresql users, how many oracle ones?

Regarding the "less bugs" answers to two of the questions: I understand it means that bugs have been found and fixed. If so, I hope those fixes have been contributed back to the community. If it's the case, there should be less bugs as users participate in the community.

Collapse
3: Re: .LRN Survey Results (response to 2)
Posted by Alvaro Rodriguez on
Hi Emma,

The survey was answered by about 10 institutions but I don't know which ones are using postgresql or oracle.

I think that the less bugs idea is what everyone would want for the toolkit and might not be necessarily according to the bugs found and fixed in their installations, besides I'd say that not everybody is used to contribute their code (even though it would be the best for the community as you said), it takes some time to contribute code, anyway we need to motivate people to contribute their fixes or at least report about the errors found.