Forum OpenACS Development: Win32-OpenACS - Version 1.16

Collapse
Posted by Maurizio Martignano on
Dear all,
I've just compiled version 1.16 (15th of September 2009) of Win32-OpenACS: an actual native Win32 port (no Cygwin, no VMware) of OpenACS.

This version is a major release at technical and commercial level.

Technically the version contains:

1. aolserver-4.5.1 – including
1.1. nssha1 1.1.1.1
1.2. nspostgres 4.1
1.3. nsoracle 2.8a1
2. tcl-8.5.7
3. tk-8.5.7
4. tDom-0.8.2
5. xotcl-1.6.3
6. thread-2.6.5
7. tcllib-1.11.1
8. postgresql-8.2.11-1
9. openssl-0.9.8.k
10. openacs-5.5.1
11. xowiki-0.112
12. dotlrn-2.5.0b
13. External binaries:
a. wget – http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm
b. convert, cp, cvs, diff, ftp, gzip, iconv, ln, ls, mkdir, mv, pdftk, ps, rm, rmdir, sh, shutdown, tar – http://www.cygwin.com
c. htmldoc – http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/
d. trml2pdf – http://sourceforge.net/projects/kraft/

The port installs and works on the following Windows Platoforms: XP, Vista, 7, Server 2003 and Server 2008.
For each one of these platforms the port works on both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

The port can be obtained at the following URL:
http://www.spazioit.com/pages_en/sol_inf_en/win32-openacs_en/

Commercial Aspects

Now the ports comes in two versions:

1. Win32-OpenACS-Light: this version is completely free but:
a. it is limited (MaxThreads = 5; MinThreads = 0) and these limits are hardwired in the code;
b. no support is offered for this version.

2. Win32-OpenACS: this version has no limits hardwired in the code, it is supported but it costs 70 €.

In both cases the source code as well as the building instructions are available.

Win32-OpenACS-Light is immediately available on the website.

Win32-OpenACS will be available as soon as the e-commerce machinery is up an running.

Collapse
Posted by Ryan Gallimore on
Hi Maurizio,

This is great - thanks!

Does this version support SSL on Windows?

I see you have openssl but not nsopenssl listed as a module.

Thanks again.

Collapse
Hello Ryan,
my mistake... I forgot to mention that also the module nsssl-1.1 is in there. The distribution contains also some example certs (that you can build with openssl.exe) and an example config file with SSL enabled.

Hope it helps,
Maurizio

Collapse
Sorry - Errata Corrige - I'm sleeping -
The included module is nsopenssl-1.77

Once again sorry,
Maurizio

Collapse
Thanks, Maurizio, that's great news.

Are there any plans for a 64 bit version?

Collapse
Dear Ryan,
this is a good question and deserves a proper answer. I'll try my best.

First of all let me state that the Win32-OpenACS 1.16 installation procedure as well as all its executables have been tested and do work on Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2003 and 2008 (both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions). Of course in the case of Windows 64 architectures they run on WOW (Windows On Windows - the Windows 32 emulator running on top of Windows 64). In several instances, disregarding the emulation middleware, Win32-OpenACS runs faster on Windows 64 systems than on Windows 32 systems.

Now some few considerations about the future.

Somehow all server hardware is shifting from 32 bit to 64 bit architecture... but the software, especially the applications are not following this path at the same pace.

For example I haven't yet found a version PostgreSQL for Windows 64 (if you do know something about it please let me know).

As you know Win32-OpenACS consists of plenty of different pieces of software. I have made sure that these pieces compile and work correctly on Windows 32. This requires knowing exactly what the compiler and the linker do, changing their parameters as necessary and so on...
Making sure that all these pieces of software compile and work correctly on Windows 64 it's not a minor,trivial task.
I don't even know if all the involved pieces of code have been developed/written taking into account the (Windows) 64 bit architecture.

I was personally thinking about starting to work on a native port to Windows 64 next year, towards the second quarter. Anyhow PostgreSQL may still keep being a Windows 32 application.

Anyhow the good point of all this blah/blah is that now, today, Win32-OpenACS installs and runs properly also on Windows 64 systems.

Hope it helps,
Maurizio

Collapse
This is just a reminder.
After a discussion/verification with the OCT it has been agreed that Win32-OpenACS distribution does not (I repeat DOES NOT) infringe any open source license.
Therefore the e-commerce machinery allowing the download of the supported version with no limits has been enabled.

Hope it helps,
Maurizio

Collapse
Hi Maurizio,

Thanks for all the 64 bit information.

On another topic, do you know what minimum Windows permissions are required for AOLserver to run? We are attempting to lock down a Windows system as much as possible.

Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks!

Collapse
Dear Ryan,
the simple answer is no. I don't know what minimum permsissions are required. The installation procedure, having to work on XP, Vista, 7, and the various servers doesn't handle/create/modify the users, their rights and permissions.

But once the installation is finished you can create a user with the desired rights and permissions, assign the AOLServer process(es) to this user and assign also to this user the folder C:\aolserver.

Having to do that I would replicate the rights and permissions of the user(s) created for IIS and I would treat C:\aolserver the same way the folder C:\inetpub is.

Hope it helps,
Maurizio