Forum .LRN Q&A: Installing dotlrn on oracle

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
The Innova group at Uned has just start with dotLRN. Our intention is to upgrade our ACES installation. Our first step was to set up a configuration from which to start. We got acs-core, dotlrn-all and dotlrn-extras modules from the CVS, most of the packages from the oacs-5-1 branch, except for those having bugfix in the oacs-5-2 branch. Our database is Oracle 8.1.7.

We found some minor problems, some of them we fixed:

• Evaluation (oacs-5-2): there is no sql for oracle datamodel creation but it seems that all the *-oracle.xql needed are present. Is this work being done at this moment? If not, we can code those missing sql.
  • Installing software: from the acs-admin, when we try to install the dotlrn-evaluation package, as there is dependencies with evaluation-portlet and evaluation packages, those packages are installed too but regardless they have support or not for the database (in our case Oracle).
  • photo-album-portlet (oacs-5.1 & 5.2): this package has no datamodel creation but there's an upgrade script in sql/postgres/upgrade so when we tried to install it from the acs-admin, this package is not proposed. I guess that the package manager assume there's no support for Oracle. Creating the sql/oracle directory fix this.
  • file-storage (oacs-5-1 & 5.2): in th www/file-add common xql file, some select query are ended with a ";" and Oracle complains on it. I submit a patch to fix it (patch #691). Should I create a bug and map it with the patch?
  • lars-blogger (oacs-5-2): there was an error in lib/last-n-comments because of a malformed -oracle.xql file. I submit a patch to fix this too (patch #692)
Our next step will be to explore in details functionalities of all the packages we need. For the moment, there are some features of ACES we miss in dotlrn:
  • new stuff: last posts in forums, last uploaded documents and last events created in calendar. I remember that I've read a post about this issue but I can't find it.
  • user homepage: our users use it a lot so we will implement it for dotlrn
  • contextual help: users could get help, if exists, for the page currently displayed. Could it be easily implement in openacs?
Saludos,
Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
I just update evaluation package from CVS and I can see that the datamodel creation scripts for Oracle are available in the oacs-5-2 branch. Sorry for the confusion.