Forum .LRN Q&A: .LRN Release Status Report

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on
I'm moving discussion on the next .LRN release from the registration-only forum at dotlrn.org to this one, and adding in some notes from discussion with Rafael Calvo.

What is the purpose of the next release?

What has to be present in the next .LRN release to make it successful? I still don't have a clear understanding. Here are some pieces:
  • Get the bug fixes since the last release out.
  • Get the packages up to a higher standard
  • Incorporate the installers in the release process
  • Add full support for more languages.
  • Themes work. Exactly what is required?
  • xhtml compliance. This is reportedly impossible to do across the board in time. How much, if any, will we aim for?
What am I missing?

Package Quality

At a minimum, we should try to bring all .LRN packages up to OpenACS Maturity Level 3. There has been a lot of discussion about ".LRN-certified" packages, and it's time to codify that. Should .LRN-certified mean OpenACS Maturity Level 4? Should it mean ".LRN-certified", which is Level 3 plus some more stuff? Should .LRN have several maturity or certification levels? Here are some possible criteria to consider?
  • Uses .LRN data model. (What constitutes the .LRN data model?)
  • Compatible with portlets (or simply not incompatible with .LRN UI?)
  • Meets Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 at Level A
  • Localized to list of 15/20 languages
  • Has .LRN-specific documentation

What is the next version?

That depends on what changes we make. Probably it will be version 2.2.

When is the next version?

The goal is to release by September. There may be one or more intermediate releases. The next step is to develop release criteria, starting with this example and adding items discussed in this thread. Heidelberg and has also submitted some requirements which I will add to the new criteria shortly.

We could test and release the current code (eg, the code on the openacs 5.1 branch); this could be .LRN 2.1.2. However, the numbering standard is to use the dot version (major.minor.dot) for bug/security fixes only, so the new release might more properly be .LRN 2.2.

When will .LRN be running on OpenACS 5.2?

Do we need this for the next release? Is it too much work to do this for the next release?

Release Committee

One of the key pieces of infrastructure for a release is a working group which represents all interested parties, makes decisions, and maintains coordination. Typically that would include:
  • Project manager: (ideally project manager and release manager would be two different positions, but I'll fill this role for this group)
  • quality control: (MIT?)
  • development: (E-lane rep, MIT rep, others?)
  • users: (representation by some or all of UNED, Vienna, Heidelberg, MIT, etc)
  • Marketing: Rafael.
The duties of this group include
  • Meeting regularly
  • performing bug triage
  • affirming or relaxing release criteria
If you know or are a good candidate for one of the roles, please post here.

The Release Committee will meet at least weekly; tentatively by IRC on Tuesday evening (US), Wednesday morning (Australia).

What is the list of packages in .LRN?

We have several lists of packages on OpenACS, and Rafael has been working on a spreadsheet for .LRN. I would like to put all of this together and track this information on OpenACS in a new package. How can we integrate this with the information in the Repository, which is automatically generated from the code in CVS and thus potentially more accurate for its fields?
Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Joel
The accessibility level 1 link was broken. Here is the right one: http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG1A-Conformance
Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
> Project manager: (ideally project manager and release manager would be two different positions, but I'll fill this role for this group)

As offered before, Victor Guerra, at Galileo and as part of e-lane can handle the releases (he's doing the e-lane releases), so you can dedicate more effort into project management.

Collapse
Posted by Mark Aufflick on
This is all very exciting! Great stuff Joel.
Collapse
Posted by Michael Hebgen on
hi joel,

many thanks for the statements, especially

- get the bug fixes since the last release out.
- get the packages up to a higher standard

while reducing our wishlist to the "must have functionalities" we would like to point to 3 long outstanding items:

a) robust filestore (at least the discussed functionality "BehaveLikeFilestystem" with all the relative linking) - a buggy component not only since last release out.

b) clearly arranged forum (at least the discussed functionality "dynamic" threadview)

c) minimal chat integration (presence information, buddy groups' synchronisation)

by the way can somebody tell me the status of the "new portlet" system (which should enable .LRN to easily adopt all OpenACS packages)?

michael

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
I think dotLRN should always keep up with OpeACS major releases. If the next OpenACS is 5.2 then the next dotLRN release version should be 2.2 as well. I think dotLRN should always release a couple of month after the OpenACS was released and some bug fixing has taken place. I don't think it 's a good idea to stay too many releases behind.

Anyway. Regarding the xhtml compliance and a consistent design I think Jeff has the most experience. As already discussed in Madrid, if he could come up with a guide some institutions could coordinate the migration work. Basically we are all waiting for a good best practice guide.

Collapse
Posted by Victor Guerra on
Hi all!

I have uploaded, at the OpenACS's file storage, a tar file containing the changelogs for all the packages included in the last dotlrn release. This ChangesLogs contains all the commits that have been made (in the oacs-5-1 branch) from the release date of .LRN - 2.1.1 until now ( few days ago).

Regards,
Victor Guerra.

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi Nima,

I have contacted Jeff (and also Don for the new-portal work) and would love to get their help on moving towards a more flexible CSS based template.

We will have a couple of new themes, were the code has been cleaned and based on the experience of that work we are writing documentation that will help move the work to all other apckages (we started with the portal pages in dotlrn)

Dorian Peters is the Art Director 😊 (graphic design, CSS, etc) and Jeremy Monnet and I are doing most of the programming and documentation.

cheers

Rafael