Forum .LRN Q&A: Teaching and Learning with .LRN

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
There is some interesting discussion with Sakai developers over at http://mfeldstein.com/index.php/weblog/comments/262/

Michael makes a good point about keeping teaching and learning as a focus when developing an e-learing platform. Let's make sure .LRN keeps teaching and learing as an important focus of the platform, and not just technology.

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Dave, Thanks. A couple of points.

1. As far as I know there is not a single intitution running Sakai code in a production setting even though "Sakai 2.0" has just been released. By comparison, .LRN is now in at least two dozen organizations. Valencia is supporting nearly 40,000 users. UNED will go live later this year with 180,000+ users. MIT Sloan has been using .LRN in production for more than three years.

2. Because Sakai is still under the gun to deliver the base platform they cannot focus on teaching and learning. Teaching and learning innovation typically comes from users and not developers. Sakai can't begin to think about teaching and learning until they have the basic machinery (a working platform) in place. By contrast, we are seeing now lots of innovations being built on top of .LRN. Harvard Kennedy School of Government is just one example. UNED will soon be contributing AlfaNET...etc etc.

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Al,

I totally agree. I wanted to just bring a little more attention to the idea that teaching and learning should drive the innovation in .LRN and the technology should support that.

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Dave, I am glad you raised the point.

OpenACS is a brilliant technology managed by a brilliant group of developers world-wide. .LRN has leveraged the strong technical foundation and community to realize a solid platform.

Now, we are at a point where the focus needs to shift to innovations in learning and research. That's what we went down this route in the first place.

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi

I am a strong supporter of having a T&L community as stron as we have a technical one. For me this was one of the most valuable outcomes of the meeting in Madrid. Everybody agreed with this.

We started a .LRN users community with the intention of raising the amount of work we do in the T&L space.

The forum is open so people can look at it without even being registred:

http://www.dotlrn.org/dotlrn/clubs/lrnusergroup/forums/forum-view?forum_id=29279

Please participate and bring ideas.

cheers

Rafael