Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS using Oracle

Collapse
Posted by Russell Sellers on
I have used arsdigita in the past and had it running using AOLServer
and Oracle. I want to create a new site but still want to use Oracle
as the back end. Does 3.2.5 support Oracle still? It appears that
3.2.5 is the current release? 4.x is still under testing? Whats would
be the recommended config? 3.2.5 and Oracle 8.1.7, Aolserver x.x?
Collapse
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
3.2.5 will not run on Oracle.  4.x runs under either Oracle or Postgres, but works a little better under Oracle.  4.x is about to go beta (this week, Don Baccus says), if you're just now getting started it would probably be better to go with 4.x.
Collapse
The first application that I would like to use is bboard. Is bboard working in 4.x?
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Bboard works in 4x but aD rewrote it so it's not the bboard you're familiar with.  In some ways it is more featureful, in some ways it isn't not as good an implementation.

OpenForce is improving it as part of their contract to provide dotLRN to Sloan/MIT (and OpenACS 4 replacement for their current ACS 3-based SloanSpace website that provides web services for their faculty and students).  I expect it to be considerably improved when they're done with it in a few weeks.

Also Gilbert Wong of the community has written an alternative bboard system for OpenACS 4, which he plans to release to the community soon.

One of the nice features of the OpenACS 4 platform is that it is easy to provide a variety of independent choices, so as time goes by I expect more examples of this kind of choice.

As far as beta goes, yes, I'm actually working on it, really, I am!  I expect to roll it on Sunday though I have to do my taxes this weekend and that could turn out to be a real time sink ...

Collapse
If I go ahead and implement the current release can I just lay the beta over it without having major problems, ie schema changes etc. Or should I just wait till after sunday or monday?
Collapse
Anyone know how much will change from current release to the beta?