Forum OpenACS Q&A: Issuing an ecommerce gift certificate without buying it?

Hi all,

I'm well underway on an OACS ecommerce deployment, which is going very well, after a little coding and little getting over the learning curve (there've been too many cooks in the ecommerce kitchen, methinks).

One thing I'm having trouble figuring out is how to issue a gift certificate without going through the purchase process. I have many (about 40) users who will be getting gift certificates when the store goes live, so ordering them up on my own account will, at best, take a long time (and at worst lead to a bunch of extraneous crap in the financial reports, that I'm not sure yet how to get rid of).

Anyone know if I'm missing it, or if I need to write my own gift-certificate batch issuer script?

Thanks!

Hi Joe,

Basically, you need to create a form that posts to:

/ecommerce/www/admin/customer-service/gift-certificate-add

The form doesn't exist by deafult. The rationale is that hiding the feature helps minimize chances of any abuse/misuse of it.

hmm.. that's what I recall from an irc discussion between 2 others a year ago or so.

Grepping, I found a form here:

/ecommerce/www/admin/customer-service/gift-certificates.tcl

but it doesn't look like it's been ported to postgresql.

Thanks Torben,

That's a good starting point. Am I remembering correctly that the "query extractor" tool is supposed to be helpful for the problem of updating unported tcl forms?

Maybe.. I haven't used it. In this case, I'd grep for other cases of oracle queries with similar coding, such as "(+)", then look at the postgres version to see how it translates.