Forum .LRN Q&A: .LRN Release Status Report

Collapse
Posted by Joel Aufrecht on

Emma, Rocael, Al Essa, Joel, Malte, Nima

Our approach to .LRN releases this summer is: first, take advantage of all of the bug fixes and new features added to .LRN 2.1 since the 2.1.1 release. This is the .LRN 2.1.3 release. Second, get a new release out including new theme work, the latest work on LORS, assessment, and other new packages. This second release will depend on OpenACS 5.2, and will be called .LRN 2.2.0.

• 2.1.3rc1 release. This is done; Rocael and Emma will both test it and test upgrading to it. Unless critical problems are reported, this will become 2.1.3 without further changes. There are no more .LRN 2.1.x releases planned unless more critical problems are found after 2.1.3 is officially released.
  • 2.2 release
    • Branching Issues. After OpenACS 5.1.5 was released on 28 Feb 2005, we prepared for OpenACS 5.2. This meant that we merged the 5.1.x code back to the trunk of the CVS tree, and then made a new 5.2.x branch. To be precise, we merged oacs-5-1 to HEAD and then branched oacs-5-2. The problem is that .LRN is managed in the same branches—.LRN 2.1.x comes from the 5.1.x branch, and 2.2 from 5.2—, and we were still working on .LRN 2.1.x. Thus more .LRN code was added for 2.1 after the merge and branch. The result is that some .LRN 2.2 packages are now older than their .LRN 2.1.3 counterparts. Nima's post discusses the problems in more detail. We discussed various ways to fix this:
      • continue working on oacs-5-1. This is bad because we may need to change .LRN packages to accommodate the changes in OpenACS core 5.2. If the changes to .LRN packages are not backwards-compatible to OpenACS 5.1 core, then we no longer have a place for 2.1.x code.
      • merge oacs-5-1 dotlrn packages to oacs-5-2.
      • branch oacs-5-1 to dotlrn-2-2 for dotlrn-all packages. If we do this, we lose any code in oacs-5-2 for dotlrn-all.
      • merge oacs-5-1 dotlrn packages to oacs-5-2 and then branch dotlrn-2-2. If we do this, we'll confuse a lot of people.
      We agreed to proceed with merging all packages in the "dotlrn-all" cvs module from oacs-5-1 to oacs-5-2, and the creating .LRN 2.2.0 from oacs-5-2. Rocael will begin this merge the week of Sep 19. If we run into schedule problems, a fallback may be to assemble a .LRN 2.2 release using OpenACS 5.2 from oacs-5-2 and .LRN packages from oacs-5-1 via the openacs-5-2 compat flag.

We further agreed that all new .LRN code should go on the oacs-5-2 branch. This may complicate the merge, so if possible this should be postponed until after the merge.

• Theme issues. Malte reported fundamental design disagreements with Rafael concerning theme implementation. Malte will wait until the theme code is completed and then work around the issues.
  • Meeting time. We could not determine a better meeting time, although some people are not able to attend the current meeting at 2100 UTC Tuesdays. I will try hosting two different meetings next week, one at 2100 UTC Tuesday and one at 0200 UTC Wednesday.
Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi
I'm sorry I was not able to IRC yesterday but I had an early appointment. Normally the meeting time (7am in sydney) is OK with me

cheers

Rafael

Collapse
Posted by Emmanuelle Raffenne on
Hi,

Here are the results of install and upgrade process on oracle:

- Clean install from tarball 2.1.3b2: there's a typo in the acs-subsite-create.sql script for oracle (call to site-node-delection instead of site-node-selection). This is fixed in a later revision in oacs-5-1 branch.

- Upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.1.3b2: must be done keeping the site up otherwise templates can't be rendered because portals navbar need the new column hidden_p of portal_pages table.