Forum OpenACS Development: Reporting Architecture

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Hey guys,

One of the most critical requirements of our clients is that we deliver ad hoc reporting for the database we build them. This is always a PITA because ad hoc reporting is a PITA to build. Usually, we offer two possible solutions:

* Buy Crystal Reports
* Download a snapshot of the data and munge it with Access or Filemaker however you please.

Neither of these are perfect solutions, of course. Crystal Reports is a powerful app, but it's expensive. Access or Filemaker, well, they are nice applications too but I ask Dave Bauer to comment on how much fun doing Access development is.

I know the GNUenterprise (http://www.GNUenterprise) folks are working on a GNUe Reports tool, but it's sort of a whiz-bang XML middleware thingermajig.

I was wondering whether anyone has any idea on whether we could build some kind of framework or application in the OACS toolkit to provide reporting solutions. This might mean building some kind of utility that might provide a RAD environment for generating ad hoc reports.

I'm not sure we need to have the user friendliness of a Crystal Reports (is it that user friendly?), but something that could allow a developer to save a day's time (what is usually recquired to throw a good report together).

Is there already a tool for this in the OACS? Has anyone tried to hack something like this together?

I'm not going to ask whether this is needed because our need for this is large enough that I assume this is important for everyone.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Talli,

What does a 'good' report look like? I wish I had seen/used Crystal Reports, but I haven't. Can you point us to some examples of what your users expect?

It seems like copying the data should be required if the Manager type starts joining tables or selecting everything from acs_objects, etc. Isn't this what Greenspun termed 'Data Warehousing'?

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
This is a good idea, but there is one important detail to note. Whether you're using Crystal Reports, Business Objects, etc... it's going to take some time to create each report. In general, in "large" companies, I've seen 1 (sometimes 2) programmer days assigned to create each report. There is no magic reporting solution that will give you all the data you want without some noticeable amount of work.

As long as those expectations are set correctly, new (more visual) approaches to reporting are a great idea.