Forum OpenACS Q&A: Internationalization

Collapse
12: Internationalization (response to 1)
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Hi Carl,

We have two parties that are actively planning non-english .LRN educational sites.  Malte you have spoken to the other is Rocael Hernandez who did one of the first ACES implementations.

Summer 2001 - Viaro launches pilot in Spanish with ACES at UNIS, Universidad del Istmo in Guatamala.  Contact: Rocael Hernández mailto:roc@viaro.net

January, 2002  - Vario launches a full system for UNIS, Universidad del Istmo in Guatamala, serving 1000+ students in Spanish.

I agree that Greenpeace may end up doing some of the best work in this area and I'll send the person I've been talking to there a copy of your post.

I totally agree with you that multi-lingual support and a less US centric approach will be strong selling points for .LRN.  It will be extremely helpful for the project if some of the next phase of adopters are from different continents and I am very excited that we already have interest from South America, Europe and the Philippines. True internationalization takes into account not only language but cultural differences, such as does a week start on Sunday or Monday.

One of the Sloan team members, Tracy Adams, will be in Germany later this month. I hope that you can meet while she is there.