Forum OpenACS Q&A: Mobile Software Available

Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
Hi Folks!

Following requests from a few (lunatic 😊 developers we've made a some software available for download on one of our servers.

Description: The software we've provided is largely a set of extensions to AOLServer that provide support functions and utilities for integrating Text Messages (GSM SMS) with OpenACS applications.

The software provides a serialised, multi-queuing arrangement which is more usually suited to environments where we're connecting to a mobile operator or similar. Therefore the general usefulness of this is not clear, however some of you may find it useful.

At the moment there isn't much in the way of docs, and we don't have a great deal of time to provide more atthe moment, but we are always happy to respond to posts on the forums.

Perhaps most interesting to the community is that this stuff makes it really simple to run your own small scale SMS service, if you have a GSM modem available through a simple serial port.

You can find the software from our Download Server and the specific software downloads are here.

I'll try and post up more details when I have a bit more time.

Regards

Simon

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Whether or not this stuff is of general usefulness, I'm sure that I'm not alone in the community in feeling grateful for your releasing the code.  It's very cool to see a company sharing technology in this way.

Thanks!

Collapse
Posted by Walter Smith on
Yeah!  Thanks for sharing, Simon.  At the moment I'm starting to do some programming for mobile applications myself, and I look forward to being able to work with your tools.
Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
Walter,

Much of whats involved in using mobile elements is often more to do with the configuration and setup, rather than coding.

We hope to put up some white paper/docs in the near future giving details of how we use these bits to put such apps together.

Have to wait on that a bit though as we're otherwise engaged at the moment,

Cheers
Simon

Collapse
Posted by Walter Smith on
Simon,

I'll look forward to your further documentation.  From your site and the stuff you've already contributed it looks like you've been doing some really interesting work.

I was wondering, are you planning to release any of the code for mobile-enabled ACS modules?  The reason I ask is that I'm pretty much of a mobile newbie, and I'm trying to add mobile functionality to parts of my site.

In particular, I would like to have the To Do Manager available to wireless users.  I didn't notice it on your list of mobile-enabled modules, although I was thinking that at least seeing an example of a mobile OACS application might help in breaking new ground.

Thanks!

Walter